Chapter 56 - Did you bug me?

Michael's POV

I shut the door behind me, leaving Marie and Gerard inside the house and went out alone. I locked the gates and leaned against the cherry-red fence.

The rumbling got louder and louder and I looked back to Gerard and Marie and nodded to them. In case something went wrong, they guarded the house.

I just prayed Rebecca didn't have the child already. If they came back, while mother didn't know they were here, then it would make this situation a lot more harder.

The black Audi finally rolled up with its black tainted windows. My reflection met my eyes, with the ruffled hair and worn clothes I always wore around summer time in Ghordes.

The ring - I had the engagement ring in my pocket fuck.

The car was turned off.

I took out my phone.

Of course she made me wait a few seconds. Veronique always left others waiting.

The window rolled down, cutting the silence in half.

Blonde hair started to show. Big sunglasses covered my mother's upper part of her face.

"Michael, my darling! Oh how I have missed you! It's been far too long!"

"Mother." I got into a more comfortable standing position. "What brings you here on such a fine day? Usually you come by when the world is ending."

Her eyebrows furrowed and disrupted her fake-nice expression for a split second. She recollected herself. "Don't be silly! I'm your mother, sometimes I have the urge to see my little boy. Now, will you be a gentleman and open the car door for me?"

I wriggled the handle. Tried to open the gate. Shook my head and shrugged my shoulders. "Seems like Marthe locked it."

"Unlock it then. I'm waiting."

"I don't know where the key is."

"Ask Marthe then", she grew irritated, her lips pressed forward bitterly.

"I don't know where she is."

"Isn't she at home?" Mother tried to calm her voice. "How don't you know where your mother's aunt is silly?"

"I've been inside working all day", I shrugged. "Come to think of it, how did you know I was here?"

"What are you on silly?", she sounded unsure, toying with her pearls. "I heard you are here!"

"From who?", I inquired. "I didn't tell anybody where I was off to."

"Does it matter?", mother asked annoyed. "I'm here because last time ended on a bitter note."

"That didn't get you moving the last few years", I reminded her.

"I could never stand children", she point-blank admitted.

"I noticed", I dryly stated.

She let out a soft hmph. "Where is that rat of your girlfriend? Not that I am eager to see her."

"The rat is my ex. What does it concern you?"

"I'm your mother!"

I sighed. "The angel you are referring to isn't here with me."

"I've heard otherwise."

"That's weird."

"How so?", she took off her sunglasses to clean them.