Chapter 40 - Watching your every step

Sara's POV

I awoke to Michael laying next to me on the mattress, both of us squished together next to each other

I awoke to Michael laying next to me on the mattress, both of us squished together next to each other. I had to giggle softly, then laid down onto my pillow again and watched him sleep peacefully.

Of course he wouldn't sleep on his own. Whenever we were together, he explicitly demanded we always sleep next to each other.

I traced his cheekbones and beard, kissing his nose softly. Michael mumbled something his sleep and drew me so close my face was pressed against his.

I managed to glance back at his intertwined arms which had me locked in. Great, how was I going to get up now?  A pain jolted across my upper body and my face twisted in response. Too tight. I tapped his chest softly. Maybe he would let go - nope.

Michael only squished me closer to him.

A low chuckle sounded from the door. I managed to twist my head slightly to see his uncle stand there.

Victor came inside and shook Michael's shoulder. "Wake up sleepyhead it's 9 am already."

Michael groaned at him and drew the blanket over us.

"You are squishing your girlfriend", Victor's voice sounded above us. "Think of her rib."

Michael let me go. I felt as if I could breathe again. My boyfriend mumbled a sorry and kissed me sleepily on my eye. But he had no intentions of getting up.

I peaked up from under the cover and Victor's hand awaited me. I took it and was lifted to my feet. "Why did you decide to share the small mattress?", Victor worryingly looked at my bandaged body. "Michael doesn't like sleeping on his own when I'm with him", I answered in a shushed voice and turned back to him to tug him in properly. "He must have joined me in my sleep."

"You are too good for him", Victor shook his head, speaking in his normal loud voice. "If he's not up by 10, I'll get a glass of water."

Michael was unbothered by that, his chest slowly, gradually rising and falling along his even breathing. Victor turned on his heel and left us alone. I crouched down and kissed Michael's beardy cheek, then decided to get changed and join them downstairs.

"Back", he mumbled angrily. "I'm not sleepy anymore", I told him. "Cuddle", he demanded, his voice deep and raspy from his sleep. My weakpoint. "I'm hungry", I proclaimed. "I'm needy", he countered, lazily lifting his head back to see me. "Bandages", he weakly pointed out. I heard him get up.

His fingers landed on my back and undid them. "Stay", he mumbled, then walked with heavy and slow footsteps to our suitcases. He drew out the balms and bandages the hospital had given me. My rib wasn't bandaged, but the cuts and punch marks on my upper body were.

Michael softly massaged the balm in, then wrapped the bandages around. He secured them and leaned his head on my shoulder. "I can't put my bra on if you stay like that", I told him amused. He looked ready to fall asleep again.