Chapter 45 - Opening up

Michael's POV

We arrived back at the hotel, her face going from sad to normal again, and as I sighed she wrapped her free arm around me and squeezed my hand. "I'm here", she assured me gently.

She raised my hand and kissed it, just like I did, which caused me to smile.

Once we were in our room, I got changed into something more comfortable, while Sara changed into the pink shorts she had bought and into a loose grey shirt.

I eyed her silently, which she caught, resulting in her twirling to demonstrate them to me again. I had to smirk at her. "Trying to soothe me?"

"Doing my best", she danced to me and wrapped herself around me, rested her chin on my chest and peered up. "Let's get comfortable." She nudged her head to the bed.

I shook my head. I didn't want to discuss bad topics in bed with her. "I'd rather sit on the balcony with you and watch the sunset while we talk."

"Alright", she raised her head. "I'll get us something to drink. You set up the balcony."

"Deal", I let go of her and we moved into separate directions.

I put the table further towards the railing and fixed the chairs, by which she came back with a jug full of water and two glasses. I eyed her legs and watched her as she bent slightly down to put the stuff on the table. The shorts really suited her. I tugged at them. "I like them."

"Jess told me my figure would be good for them", she told me, got up and brushed my hair out of my face. "I'm glad you like them."

I sighed with a smile. "Do you always do everything for the sake of the others?"

"I do care for others and I never want to disappoint them. I would do everything for them. I always offer my help. And in the end, I'd rather quietly suffer then admit they are a hassle", she agreed, which I had long noticed during work. She would never not help a friend in need. "But this is for us. I do this for me too, so I know how I can help you."

"Just listening and accepting me is good enough", I told her.

"Not good enough for me", she took my hands, guided us down to sit. Nuzzled into me. I laughed - my favorite cuddling position. "Smothering me?", I asked her, brushing through her thick hair and undoing the pony tail she had just now made.

She let me, hummed.

I brushed her back quietly for a while, carefully skipping the spot of her damaged rib, eyeing her almost completely healed face and the white scar on her cheek.

"Where should I start?", I asked her openly for help. I was lost, really.

"Anything that comes to your mind", she told me, playing with my shirt.

"Well", I thought about it. "I guess the day I noticed when he cheated?"

"Go ahead", Sara intertwined our fingers. Mothering me like a baby, not that I minded that much affection. "Whenever you are ready." She raised her head. "And that's the reason for their divorce, by the way. Cheating. Not you."

My heart dropped to my stomach. I heard my mother yell the words 'You are to blame!' at me, words that had been carved into my mind. "I don't think so, mon amour."

"Michael - he cheated on her. Do you think your proud mother would stay once she found out?"

I had to avert from her face and stared into the harbor of Marseille. I drummed my fingers on her back, sighing deeply. "No, my mother told me into my face we were the reason."