Chapter 20 - Forgiveness

♡  

Michael's POV

"I forgive you."

Uncle Jacques shifted in his seat, wiping away his tears.

The suitcase had fallen onto the ground with a loud thud. Uncle stretched with a smile.

Uncle and I had landed in Paris. My driver had picked us up on the dot and had driven him to his home. While we drove there, I quickly booked a hotel room, stubbornly insisting I needed this alone time.

This was so weird – I had sworn I would never set foot in Paris again, unless it was for business matters only. I didn't want to see the most beautiful city be happy and full of life when my little brother had passed away here. I didn't want to see the man who had raised him and had watched him die with us.

I didn't want to remember the nurses beside Bastien's bed, along with the beeping medical machines around him as he weakly smiled at us. His face, the shadow around his eyes, the pale yellowish colour of his skin and the many dots of the sickness that would drag him into his grave at such a young age were a heart-breaking image in my mind. The round stone was heavy in my pocket and I touched it, hoping it would calm me down. My palms were sweaty, and my knees were shaky.

My driver dropped my uncle off at his loft and he tried to invite me in for the nth time. I denied. "Very well, I won't be stubborn", my uncle got out the car. I helped him with his suitcase. "Michael; if you need me, you know what to do. You better call me regularly from now on or you can expect me at your door."

He drew me into a sudden hug. After a few surprised seconds, I hugged him back as tightly. "I'm proud of you. I know you will accomplish anything you set your mind on. You can do this." 

"Thank you", I whispered.

The receptionist was very kind to me once she read my name, immediately checking me in and leading me to the room herself. I quickly took everything from her and sent her away. I had a few hours until the meeting.

I threw myself onto the bed with an awful pattern and stared at the ceiling. I took out my phone from my dress pants and contacted Jessica. She didn't respond to my message, so I called Hamish next to see what was going on with the company.

"Michael, how nice of you to call at 6 in the morning." Shit. How did I forget about the time difference? 

"I'm so sorry Hamish, did I wake you up?" 

"No, I woke up five minutes ago." 

That's why his voice was raspy. "I won't bother you then." 

"Better now than later. What's up?" 

"Care to inform me about my company?"

I heard Hamish walk somewhere in the background of the call. "Give me a moment, boss. You always call when I'm unprepared." 

"Always expect the unexpected." 

"Why is it that I always hear those words out of your mouth?", he snickered. "Ah, there it is. So, a short summary of what happened this week: We were all over WSJ. The article-" 

"Was about my sudden disappearance, the unknown reason why I left and you getting the green light to step into my position for the time being. The next article explained there was a family problem and that's why I left."