Chapter 38 -Bienvenue à la maison!

Michael's POV

"That's that Hamish", I shut down my computer, cleaned my desk and shook his hand

"That's that Hamish", I shut down my computer, cleaned my desk and shook his hand. "I'm leaving the company in your more than capable hands. I'll validate the work in France, but only in the evening. Sara and I need the vacation desperately. If you need my help, just call. If needed, I'll take the next flight home immediately. I'm available via sky, email and well, on my phone. Call me, keep me updated."

My partner in crime shook his head heavily. "You needn't lift a finger Michael", Hamish repeated for the n-th time. "You and Sara need it. I'll make sure to hire more security as well as declare new safety measures when I have time to. I'll take care of the company, your lawyer will make sure the search for Sara's attackers is continued and your father ...", Hamish cleared his throat. "We'll, he'll play his part and cover up your absence the next two weeks."

I nodded. I hadn't spoken long to my father, but he was more than helpful to cover up my traces and to trick Eleanor into thinking I was gone to other places with Sara. He also would spend some money in my name to confuse her, in case she was tracking that as well. I don't know why he would do that, and what in the world moved me to press the answer button, but now I was somewhat calm to escape New York for two weeks with her. She needed the fresh air. She needed to rebuild her trust and confidence. Sara flinched when we went out grocery shopping and she saw strangers.

"I wish for a speedy recovery regarding our head secretary", Hamish nodded. "And for you to finally find a way how to cut off Eleanor once and for all", Hamish pocked my chest with his finger. "Take care in France. Greet your family for me. And look after you two." "I always will", I patted his shoulder. "Off you go my friend."

Hamish left the office with a smile and a "have a nice vacation!", then I sat down again and awaited my lawyer.

Luca was there on the minute. He entered with a polite knock, his brief-case in one hand.

"Michael", we shook hands "I got you the needed papers while you two are absent", he put them down in front of me. "You need to sign those. I printed double, for you and for Sara. She signed them already." "When did you see her?", I rotated the pen in my hand and overflew the paper. The same ones as usual. "Just a few minutes ago", Luca checked his watch. "She was packing for your trip away."

I handed him back the papers.

"So, while you are gone I'll make sure the police do their job and keep on searching for them. Like you requested, I'll send somebody to thoroughly inspect her old apartment, as well as yours. Marie and Gerard have nothing against that?" "They are coming along, they won't even know", I told him. "Good." "You still have the spare key?"

Luca lifted it. "Perfect", I nodded at him. "Monitor Eleanor while you are at it. And Nathaniel too." "I thought you would ask for that", he handed me a contract. "Hired two private detectives. Both work at their companies now. I trust those guys like I trust myself."