Chapter 66 - First-degree attempted murder

Lucas's POV

Eleanor climbed to the podium, sat down and crossed her legs. She gave me a cold stare as she waited for my questions.

I strutted around, keeping up eye contact with her. She didn't seem nervous in the slightest, which was odd.

"Ms Hawkins", I started. "Is it true that you released all those headlines against my client Ms Basic?" I didn't waste no time.

"It is", Eleanor spoke, giving me smile.

I didn't reply it. "Why did you think it was a good idea to publish those?"

"Well, as my lawyer stated, I firmly believe Sara here isn't good enough for my Michael."

"And you do not believe your ex-husband is capable of deciding for himself who is worthy of him and who not?", I asked.

"We-Well", she stuttered.

"I heard multiple times how you were gushing over Mr de Beaumont's wise decisions. You often said he always chose right and that he had an inkling for the things that were good for him."

"This is an instance where I believe he made a wrong decision", Eleanor stubbornly stated.

"And you do not believe my client can make this decision himself, even if it was wrong in your eyes? Do you have any power over him as to decide by yourself Ms Basic is not the right woman for him?"

Eleanor looked to the ground. "I do."

"What is your reasoning?"

"He's mine. Mine mine mine!", Eleanor smiled. "All the good times we had. Sure, we had our ups and downs and sure, he was pissed when I cheated, but that's any other good marriage, isn't it? We still love each other, I'm sure of it!"

"It is not part of a good marriage, Ms Hawkins", I stopped her. "A marriage is a bond between two people only. Cheating is not a part of marriage. Nor do I believe my client has any feelings left for you."

"Well, I thought it was a good marriage and I'm sure Michael did too", Eleanor played with her hair, staring at us all with a big smile, then pouted. "My Michael would always get so angry at me when I took his money!", Eleanor suddenly turned angry. "He would always yell at me to let his stuff be! But it's our money. It's my money! I should have used it however I liked! I should have been allowed to sleep with any men I desired! And when he wouldn't give that to me, I had to beat some sense into him! Hurt myself. Called around and spread rumors about this dick. It's his fault - I bore his name. We were married. What's his is mine!"

"So you admit to being physically and emotionally abusive to Mr de Beaumont?" It was hard to keep a straight face at this crazy.

"What are you going to do?", Eleanor shrugged. "Charge a woman for domestic abuse?"

I could hear the imaginary face slaps her lawyer was giving himself. Before I could speak, Eleanor went on another rant.

"Sara is a cruel bitch who took my Michael away from me! So I beat her up, wanted that bitch dead and gone and I nearly succeeded - but of course she kicked the guys I hired hard enough to let her go for a few seconds and she just took off! Just ran away, can you believe it!? At least they stole some things from her and beat her up quite good. If only my engine hadn't stalled, I would have just run that bitch over myself!"

I could hear Sara start sobbing. I never ever allowed myself to become emotionally invested with my clients, it was the biggest mistake a lawyer could do. It could turn into judging, one-sided arguments, favoring someone over the other - but in this case?