Chapter 16 - Death anniversary

♡  

I don't know when and how I had gotten home, nor when I had fallen asleep, but here I was, lying on the sofa with a blanket wrapped around me. I glanced around until I remembered where I was.

Gordes. Aunt Marthe. The fight.

Soft voices came from the kitchen as well as the smell of food. And it smelled delicious. Water collected in my mouth and my stomach grumbled. It wasn't a usual thing for tatie Marthe to prepare a big breakfast. We usually just ate a croissant and had a cup of coffee with it. Yesterday must have riled her up.

I despised it when I worried my family. I didn't want them to baby me, nor did I want them to think of the times my parents had divorced. Yes, it had been hard and yes, my brother's death had made me get help from a psychiatrist, but I was at a better place now.

I glanced at the calendar and my hunger disappeared almost immediately. It was the 27th of February.

I plopped back onto the sofa, my mind loud, full of questions, confused.

How has it already been 12 years since Sébastien had died?

"Do you think he's awake yet?"

I knew that voice.

Thank god he was here.

"Léon", I said, storming around the corner of the living room into the hallway. We both halted harshly before we crashed into one another.

"Michael", he let out relieved and immediately wrapped his arms around me. I hugged him as tightly back.

"Today's the 27th ..." 

"I know", Léon whispered. "That's one of the reasons I came."

Children's laughter sounded from the kitchen. Rebecca stepped out in an apron and tied back hair. Her red hair was as vibrant as ever. 

"You and cooking?", I asked. 

She raised a brow. "Once I'm done with the children you'll wish it's Marthe scolding you!" 

"Think of the baby", I said, my typical answer to flee her wrath.

Her hand fluttered to her stomach. "The baby's fine, unlike you, mister!", her eyes glistened at that.

Marthe came out the kitchen wearing the other apron she owned. She patted my cheek with a sad smile. "I'm alright, tatie." 

"The more you say it, the less I believe you. Gerard and Marie are waiting in the car."

"Where we going?", Adrien jumped around the corner, followed by a laughing Estelle. 

"We are staying at home", Rebecca told them, brushing Adrien's unique hair back. His green eyes were as vibrant as Sébastien's had been and the hair was the same blond-brown unique shade.

I opened my arms to my nephew and niece.

They immediately stormed into my hug.

I had to admit – it healed the smallest wound to have them in my arms. My heart melted as they wrapped their tiny arms around me.

I didn't know what was harder; the fact Adrien was a copy of our brother or that Sara wasn't by my side.

"Why can't we come along?", Estelle asked, kissing my cheek. She was such a little cuddly girl. 

"You can, but it's no fun", I told her. 

"We going!", Adrien insisted, staying in my arms. Estelle turned to her mama who shook her head. Estelle decided to stay back. She was easily convinced, so not a typical Beaumont.