Chapter 53 - The culprit

Lucas' POV

The words were clear as day, didn't blur together, didn't confuse me, didn't melt together, didn't go off the row - but it was hard to believe them. It was hard to believe what the papers in my hand said.

Not that I didn't believe the cold facts I was holding, as a lawyer that was the stupidest thing to do, but still ... my mind traveled to Michael.

And the same question popped up that had been on my mind ever since I had gotten these sheet of paper from the detective couple.

What would his reaction be?

Hurt? Confused? Angered? Blind rage? Revenge?

How would Sara react? Would she understand? Would she dump him?

"And you are sure this", I lifted the paper to the two detectives my client and I had hired "is the complete truth?" I stared into their eyes but was only met with confident looks.

"That's what we found on their server, heard from his ex as we eavesdropped and her father had confirmed it himself."

To think they had been caught by Eleanor's father - and to think he had supported them ...

It was strange ... why would he do something behind her back?

What was his reason to hate her ?

"You seem confused, Sir", the young man spoke now.

"I am, deeply." I scratched my chin. "But let's put that aside - great job you two. Would you like your pay in cash?"

I watched them leave and got up from my chair, went to the window and looked out into the dark night of New York City.

Quiet. So quiet and bright. For some this was a rowdy night. For some this was a calm night.

For me it was a typical night in my office. Only that I was worried how my client would react to the news. She had done enough to fuck him over. He wouldn't take kindly to my words.

Eleanor's father wanted to speak to Michael. He had given them information about his own daughter and Nathaniel. Had suspected those two would do something wrong the moment they had been introduced to each other. He had watched. He had waited.

I brushed through my hair.

Eleanor had rage issues and had often acted weird. The times I had met her I hadn't liked her at all. She was strange.

Her own father admitted it to the detectives. Suspected mental illness, some that was unidentified. It would ruin their reputation, so they left it untreated. No wonder she had done all those things. The fake news line, threatening Michael with suicide if he didn't desire her, cutting herself in front of us as the divorce was finalized - something was wrong with that poor girl.

But this ...

I lifted the paper again and my mouth got dry as I silently read her name.

How could she do that? I just could not comprehend how she could do that to Michael and Sara. What had gone through her head for her to think it was a good idea to hurt the innocent girl?

It hadn't been Eleanor or Nathaniel who had beaten up Sara and had bugged their flats - it was someone entirely else we hadn't even thought of. She had stayed quiet and had stayed in the shadows, had watched it all unfold while she controlled those two like puppets.

My phone rang.

I cut my thoughts short. They are my clients, I should not get emotionally attached to them.