Chapter 26 - Birthday surprise

♡ 

"What do you mean with that?", I asked, my voice thick. 

"Exactly what I said", Michael sighed heavily.

It was 7 am on Monday the 19th, two days until his 30th birthday. He had picked me up, per usual, and told me of the latest news which made my heart drop into my stomach.

"It will be only for a week. Hamish and I need to attend the conference in Singapore. Melinda is too well informed about this topic, so she has to come along instead of you. And somebody has to stay back and take her position here." Michael thought about something, going silent for a while. "I'll be back Sunday evening the soonest. As soon as I have access to internet, you'll hear from me, I promise."

I don't know what's worse – not seeing him for an entire week or taking over her position this suddenly.

"When are you leaving?", I asked instead of voicing my concerns. 

"In a few hours, at three p.m.", he sounded tight-lipped. "It was all so sudden, I just got the call a few minutes ago. I'll drop you off to work and then I have to go home and pack for the trip." 

"You shouldn't have bothered if you are stressed out! I'm only wasting your time!" 

"Don't be ridiculous! You are always worth it", Michael stressed, gripping the wheel. "I just feel so annoyed I couldn't have told you sooner. If I had known I wouldn't see you for a week, then I would have spent the weekend with you, but that's life as a CEO; spontaneous plans require a cool head and quick solutions."

And being together with one meant you had to be capable of the same thing. For him, I would be just that.

Besides, it would do me good to not be such a strict 'follow this plan' type of person.

"Ok, I understand ...", I played with my hair. My heart stung. "I already miss you ..." 

"Me too", Michael frowned. He leaned his head over. "Hey." I looked up to him. He was smiling softly at me. 

"Hey", I replied. He puckered his lips and I kissed him. 

"Don't be sad. It's hard for me as is. Rather, let's think about how Sunday night we might see each other again." 

"Additionally, we could think about your birthday."

Michael's expression showed his surprise. "Oh yeah, I'm 30 soon." 

"Two more days", I mumbled, fixing his collar by running my finger through it. "How could you forget your own birthday?" 

Michael beamed at my touch. "I haven't celebrated it ever since I turned 18", he shrugged. "For me, it's just another day that adds to my age, nothing more." 

"Hmm, we have to change that. Birthdays should always be celebrated!" 

"It's just another day", he stressed, then started the engine. "Why should I celebrate I got older?", he asked, looking at the traffic and shook his head.

  ♡  

And at three p.m. he was really gone, along with Hamish and Melinda. We didn't even have the time to see each other off and it just hurt we didn't. No last hug, no last kiss – gone for a week. But at least this time I knew he would return.

I sighed and looked at Melinda's big desk. A long list laid on it, especially written for me so I could take over her tasks smoothly while they were gone.