Chapter 5 - Lunch with my boss

"This way", Mr. Beaumont appointed me, leading me out of the main entrance from the building. I had to run after him, not blessed with long, muscular legs like he was. The girls and guys from the reception wished him to enjoy his meal and took a break themselves.

I picked up my pace but still couldn't reach him. Mr. Beaumont noticed and slowed down until we walked next to each other. He apologized too, which was quite sweet from him. Ben spotted Mr. Beaumont and opened the door for us, nodding deeply at Mr. Beaumont, who nodded back easily.

"Where are we going?", I asked him, while nodding at Ben who smiled back. 

"Trinity's." 

"Never heard of it", I furrowed my brows. 

"It's just down the street. Once it had been an Italian restaurant, now it's a combination of French and Italian food. The chef is called Trinity, hence the name." 

"Seems like you know quite a bit about that space, Mr. Beaumont."

His blue eyes peered over his shoulder and he took me by my wrist. His thumb brushed my palm. "Outside of work it's Michael, Sara", he insisted, then smiled at me. I felt all my blood rush to my face and looked away. He still held me by my wrist as he led us down the street, this time not with such hasty steps as before.

♡  

Mr. Beaumont – Michael – held the door open for me. "Ladies first", he nodded towards the inside of the restaurant.

I instantly felt out of place.

This restaurant was clearly a five-star establishment – simple yet modern furniture, glass tables, people drinking champagne at 1 o'clock already, tall windows, soft lights and grey chairs.

In the middle of the first room was an elaborate indoor fountain which Roman gods depicted on it, tranquilly filling the silent space with pleasant water sounds. The entire right side of the restaurant, from what I could see, had no walls but only windows, which showed New York in its whole glory.

The glass tables were set up in a certain black, grey and white colour scheme, with pristine table linen and along with it the grey chairs. They had obviously chosen a banquet style.

There was just this ... rich atmosphere that this place radiated. Modern with chic, expensive clashing with expensive, people who received my pay check in mere minutes dined here. And not a person like me, who made maybe a sixth of what they earned in a day, who was dressed in a 30 $ outfit unlike those who wore Balmain, Gucci, Prada or god knows what.

Mr. Beaumont smiled at my speechlessness. "Look up."

I did. A grand white chandelier met my eyes. The hanging stones were glistening in the sunlight and filled the room with pristine white lights to underline even more the modern tone of this establishment.

I have never seen such a fancy restaurant, nor did I ever think I would. It was not only way out of my league, but also not my place at all.

A waiter spotted me, frowned, then directed his glance above me, to my giant of a boss. His face lit up with recognition. "Monsieur Beaumont! Welcome to our restaurant, a table by the window?" 

"Close to the bar", my boss decided, undoing his coat. "Have Alexander take our order." 

"As you wish! Anything for you, Monsieur."