Chapter 8 - The Devils

♡ 

Loud yelling made all of us in our office look up. Nina and Clarissa looked up from their files and Jess stopped in her tracks with her mug. "What's that ruckus about?", Nina asked first, listening intently and placing it on our floor. 

Jess froze as she said and swirled around to our calendar. One of my best friends stared at it for an eternity, then she palely announced: "Code red."

With a dead-pan expression, Clarissa cussed softly and flipped the file close. Nina rushed to her table. Jess poured her coffee down the drain. The girls started cleaning up the office and locked away a lot of their files. "What's going on?", I could only watch confused.

Jess looked up and they all stopped. "Véronique is visiting." 

"The She-Devil", Nina clarified with shaking hands. Clarissa patted her back.

His mother.

I remembered – we had talked about his parents one day after lunch!

"A she-devil?", he asked with a raised brow. "That's flattering her a bit too much."

"If you thought Michael was an asshole, then wait until you meet his mother", Nina hid her hard drive. 

"Hide everything she can grab, anything associated with Mr Beaumont", Clarissa told me. Jess sneakily glanced at me and I hissed at her to not say anything.

Clarissa continued unbothered. "She loves to take it and judge him that way. She taunts him." 

"One time she counted out loud every number of the file, remarking how they all could be higher, then she proceeded to rip our files apart, so we had to start all over", Nina quietly remembered. 

"Or the time she fired people because she deemed them stupid?" 

"Or the time that bitch broke my monitor!?", Clarissa barked. Now Nina patted her back.

"How hasn't he lost his fuse?", I asked into the round.

The voices got louder. We all looked to the glass door on our right, which led to the hallways, the cubes of the other employees and eventually the elevator.

"Oh, he always does", they answered in unison.

I quickly stuffed my files, hard drive, USB, calculator – anything on my desk – into drawers. Jess tossed me the keys. I had always wondered why you could lock the drawers in our office. With great hurry I locked the six drawers and tossed Nina the key, who was the last to lock her desk.

Just in time, because the door opened two seconds later.

To say that this woman radiated cold elegance was an understatement. Véronique Beaumont slammed the door open while arguing with her son, who followed her with a killing look, as if he were ready to gurgle her at any given moment.

When she walked, even in her furious state, Michael's mother seemed to fly, or the earth gave way to her. Véronique Beaumont was a stunning, elderly woman, and I now saw who Michael had inherited his good looks from, even when angry.

She was dressed stylishly and kept herself well-groomed with short dyed blonde hair and flawless natural makeup on. A light wash of rose nail polish graced her nails, many rings adorned her long fingers. Her blue eyes popped coldly and were the point of attention on her face.

His mother wore an expensive black dress, you could just tell it was, along with black Valentino high heels. Golden stones dangled from her ears. Her bracelets jiggled as she raised her hand to point at Michael, who frowned heavily and slapped her hand away.