Chapter 43 - Ups and downs

Sara's POV

Michael assumed that Leon and Rebecca would be awaiting us in the kitchen, opened the back door that had led to the garden and put down both his nephew and niece.

The kids instantly stormed into the living room, where moments later I heard Victor make a huffing sound as two children jumped on top of him. Adrien and Estelle giggled joyfully.

Michael chuckled at that, walking in front of me to the kitchen where Rebecca and Leon awaited us.

Before I could talk to them however, I had to reveal my burden to him. One last thing he should know, I owed him that.

I took his hand, wanting him to stop for a moment, but he continued walking. He thought I wanted to hold his hand like usually and nothing more. Intertwined our fingers.

I already felt bad for what I was about to tell him.

Michael only turned around as I didn't budge. My face must have spoken volumes. "What's wrong? Does anything hurt? Is it your rib?"

"No ... I'm fine", I assured him, sighing as he closed the distance between us. "There's something you must know ... Please don't be angry at me when I tell you, alright?"

"I'll try to - out with it, mon amour."  He brushed my arms.

"I ... I kept up the contact to your father, even though you told me not to", I quickly blurted out, watching his face go from worried, to sad, to angry and ultimately to disappointed. Hands instantly retreated. "You said I wasn't allowed to talk to him, so I used the loop hole and texted him behind your back. But only three times!"

Surprisingly, Michael didn't explode for now, but kept his disappointed expression. "Did you tell him of our departure?", he coldly asked.

"Of course not! The last time I wrote him was way before the incident back home! I swear! If I had the phone I would show you what I wrote him; it was just little things like you being happy, well, not angry anymore and such. Nothing else! He didn't know anything else about you!"

"I didn't want him to know even one bit about me, Sara", his grip on my hand got awfully tight. "That's why I told you to stop talking to him. I'm disappointed that you acted behind my back and against my will."

That sentence crushed me. I looked to the floor.

"I only wanted the best for you ... that's why I did it", I whispered.

Michael ignored it, deliberately. 

"I told him about what happened and I asked for his help", Leon popped out the kitchen, leaning against the door frame with crossed arms. His face was harsh as he looked at his older brother. "I tell dad regularly news about you. He worries so much about you it's unbearable to listen to."

Leon's eyes scanned me. They were slightly sad now, seemingly telling me 'he has to know'. I braced myself for more anger as Leon explained: "I gave her the number."

"Fully knowing she would write him! Why on earth would you do that, Leon!?", Michael barked, as expected.

"Well, clearly, she worries about you. Tries to get you to open up. To talk about back then. That's why Sara kept on doing it!", Leon raised his voice, getting louder and louder with each word. "But you always shut up once we get to this topic! You always avert yourself from us! You always throw a fit in the end when we address something. We might endure your stubbornness because we are your family, but she might not!"