» 24

THE GAME
[01]

You sat in your bed attempting to scratch your arm as the nurse brought lunch in & smiled at you.

"Would you like the TV on?" She asked pushing the cart away from your bed.

"Yeah, yeah. Hand the remote." You nonchalantly said as she handed it to you & left.

You turned on your TV, giving up on the itching on your arm as you switched the channel. You found yourself drawn to channel 10, seeing the local news.

"Latest & most popular rookie: L/N Y/N played on the court today! She is now currently being hospitalized after Chang Sunae, rookie for the Jaguars, smashed into her right arm."

"Damn you, Chang Sunae!" You yelled, annoyed at the name already as you threw the remote onto the other side of the bed.

Hey, my name is Y/N. You're probably wondering how I got in this situation.

Well...it all starts in the summer of 1985.

•    •    •

"School's over! Let's go to the arcade."

"God damn it! Do you always go to the damn arcade after school? Do you have no other stupid dialogue or something?!" Y/N yelled as two students walked out of the gates.

Today was Y/N's
first competition..

"Hey, Y/N. Good luck!" A girl with short, light brown hair cheered whilst walking past with her friends.

"Yeah, thanks." She nonchalantly said putting her bag over her arms as Daniel held her F/C Adidas sports bag.

She was definitely
nervous..

"Y/N, when's the game?" Daniel asked as they also walked out, heading to a safe basketball court so she could practice.

"5:30, the doors open at 5:10 though. S-so, like, 3 hours..to go..before I, uh, play in front of a..crowd" She answered nervously, turning the corner.

"Are you okay?" Daniel asked as he took notice.

"I'm nervous. Like, really, nervous." She continued as sweat dripped from her head.

"You'll be fine. You've practiced really hard for this! You could be in the NBA if you wanted to..trust me, you're fine." Daniel reassured as she nodded.

After all..

"It feels like this whole damn school is going, it's a lot.." She added. They approached a court and quickly settled on the benches, Daniel handing her bag.

"Just think that there's no one around. I'm sure if you lose, which I doubt, they won't care. You're a goddess to them, yeah? So they'll look past your one imperfection." Daniel comforted.

She opened her bag and revealed her old, shabby gear. It may not have been the best in the market, because she was broke and couldn't buy it, it still had helped Y/N the past few years.