Chapter 43

You were completely unprepared.  

You would think that after all the hours you'd spent with him - watching him talk to you and laugh - that you would perfectly know how would it feel to kiss him. But you hadn't imagined how warm his lips would feel pressed up against your own. How great this feeling would be.

You could feel the beating of his heart against your chest. His shaky, shallow breath when suddenly his hand rested below your ear, his thumb caressing your cheek as your breaths mingled.  

Dear god, you couldn't fight against the thoughts that were going through you. There was chaos in your mind, from which you only could recognize one sentence. 

He returned the kiss.

It was slow and soft, comforting in ways that words would never be. Yet definitely too short.

He gently pushed you away, turning his gaze to the side, trying not to look at you. You hung your head, closing your eyes and feeling that your limp body began to tremble uncontrollably. 

Your heart fluttered inside your chest. We just... did we just..., you thought, slowly moving away from him and sitting on the cold grass. You hesitantly looked up at his face. The swirls of emotion you saw there made you gasp. 

Lust and desire. But they were also accompanied by the pain and struggle. He fought with his thoughts. You saw that his hands were shaking slightly. You could have sworn you just heard how in his mind he was repeating the same sentence over and over, "Don't do this... don't do this." But it was too late. 

He already did it.

He kissed you back, letting you know that his feelings were real. And not as shallow as it seemed to him. Well, maybe he let himself be carried away by desire, but you didn't want to think about it that way. You wanted to think that it was pure. He did it because he wanted to. Because his feelings for you were strong.

He moved suddenly, straightening himself and leaning against a tree trunk. He raised his trembling hand up and covered his eyes, taking a deep breath. The words he said after that weighed on your heart like a huge stone. 

"I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry." And after a while, as if someone cast a spell on him, he gave you an apologetic smile, slowly began to rise up and as if nothing had happened he added. "We should go now. Fireworks have already started."

He pointed to the sky - you reflexively looked up, seeing those bright lights exploding in the air and the loud noise accompanying them. 

Your fists clenched when you lovered your head and looked at him once again.  Your knuckles whitened. You gritted your teeth from the effort to remain silent but to no avail.  Your face became red with anger when you finally snapped. 

''No, we are not going anywhere." You hissed, raising your head and looking at him, at the same time trying not to show that you were angry. You saw the confusion register on his face before he could hide it. You grabbed his hand and yanked him down, making him sit with a loud thud. You added after a moment. "You... you... kissed me back. And now you act like nothing happened! You know what that kiss meant to me! For me, it was something important, something that cannot be given to just anyone! You... y-you... you just can't kiss a girl and say I'm sorry!"

"... I know." He whispered. 

The tears burst forth like water from a dam, spilling down your face.  

"Then why did you say that?" He didn't answer. He stared blankly at the ground in silence, not even moving about a centimeter. Seeing this, you cried impatiently. "Answer me!"

"Because if I didn't, everything would change! That wasn't the answer for you! It was for me! I crossed the line that I shouldn't have crossed. I did something that shouldn't happen. And also the fact that I have these feelings for you makes me..." He fell silent as if the last word couldn't pass through his throat.

"...makes you what?" You asked. 

He laughed shortly, shaking his head nervously.

"I don't know anymore. And that scares me the most. That I don't know." He said looking straight into your eyes. You refused to look away, even as his lips trembled and his shoulders heaved with emotion, unwilling to back down. His hands clenched into shaking fists, in a desperate battle against the pain. No, you didn't dare to look away.

You wiped away your tears, raising your hand and gently putting it on his shoulder. You wanted to hug him so much, but you knew it wasn't the best idea. It was your fault that he felt all of this right now. 

''... but I know." You said suddenly before you could stop yourself. Knowing that you have no choice, you continued. "That's what falling in love is."

You could see that words left him. He stared into your eyes with shock on his face, he couldn't will his lips to move. You quickly noticed that there was something else in his eyes than just this one single emotion. He looked as if he finally understood. 

He laughed, finally breaking eye contact.

"I was hoping you wouldn't say that."

''Why?" You asked, curious. 

"Because then I wouldn't want to kiss you again."

You opened your mouth in shock, but before you could say anything, he leaned in a little closer, your foreheads touching, and his lips lightly brushed yours. It was short, shorter than the other kiss, but if someone asked you, in which there was more emotion, you would know the right answer.

When he drew away, you instantly missed his touch. But still unable to get rid of the shock, you covered your mouth with your hand staring at him as if someone just put a spell on you. 

"But it's not like our relations will suddenly change, (Y/N). What happened here... was a one-time thing. Anyway... for now." He said and rose from the ground, reaching out his hand in your direction. You grabbed it, still a bit shocked. You nodded, but after a moment you giggled softly, saying:

''Well... actually you kissed me twice and..." You started, smiling, but he interrupted you.

"I kissed you? You were the one who did it first."

''But you kissed me back so it counts as one!" You answered.

You only heard how he sighed softly, but, after a while, another sound reached your ears.

"(L/N)! I knew it was you!"