Chapter 6: More Guy Friends

Sophia

No.. no.. no!!!

I'm late for my first class. But I'm never late!

I'm Sophia Ann Sta. Ana---grade-conscious and consistent Dean's Lister, Editor-in-Chief of the university magazine,The Orion Arrow. Not once in my life have I been tardy for anything!

Lifting my right wrist to my frantic brown eyes, I read my watch: 7:10 am.The jeep is moving at a snail's pace and several car horns were blaring from every angle. The traffic jam was horrendous this sunny Tuesday Morning.

What will this do on my school records? I can see it now--Sophia Ann Sta. Ana--imperfect attendance due to one mark of lateness.

Sliding my distraught gaze to my blonde sister, I saw her eyes shut as she listened to music on her music player sitting on the lap of her blue pencil skirt. Her first class is at 8:00, so she's safe.

I'm going to make a run for it.

"Sop, no." Stacy shielded her arm on my stomach when I made a move to get off the jeep.

"What do you mean 'no'?" I wailed in desperation.

My 19-year-old twin removed her arm from my tummy and tore off the earbuds from her ears.

Stacy shot me a wicked grin. "I'm running with you. The school is within jogging distance now. Just let me hop off the jeep first."

I wordlessly obeyed my sister, allowing her to scuttle out of the jeep, and when it was my turn, she helped me land on my feet, then she tucked her hand in mine as we hurried to Orion.

Soon, we arrived at our university, huffing and puffing but when I checked my watch: 7:20 am.

"I love you, Ace," I said as I embraced her. She patted my back, told me she loves me, too, and she pushed me away, telling me to go to my designated room, which I did.

A hand grasped my shoulder, making me halt in my tracks. Beads of sweat were trickling down my temples and I was still breathless from the impromptu run when I spun around.

"Sophia? Why are you headed to the Tech Center? Isn't your building Humanities Hall since you're an Education Major?"

Tall. Fair skin. Short, bronze brown hair. Mocha brown eyes. His lean physique was clad in the usual male uniform of white polo, blue necktie and matching blue slacks and black polished shoes.

Shoot! He's one of Stacy's ex-boyfriends.. what was his name..? Alexander..?

"Alexis Tan?" I tentatively asked the tall male.

He smiled. "That's me. So why are you rushing off to--"

"Fudge!" I cried out, panic creeping into my veins. "I have to go! Sorry!"

"Hold on! Hold on! Just hold on a minute! Where exactly are you going?" inquired Alexis, one of his hands clutching the front of my seaweed-colored backpack, preventing me from fleeing off.

I used the heel of my right palm to smack my sweaty forehead. "Ah.. TC 308. Major 103."

His face lit up. He released my green backpack from his fingers and stood before me.

"Sir Calderon?" he asked with a knowing smile.

I nodded. "Was he your mentor before?"

"Last year and this year as well," replied Alexis. "You're in the same class as me."

My shoulders deflated, some tension flowing out of my body. "That's great."

The young Aussie inserted a hand in his pants' pocket and fished out his white phone. The simple color and design reminded me of my sister's phone. Great minds do think alike. I wonder why they broke up? I was never curious about my twin's affairs, so I never goaded any answers from her, nor have I engaged in befriending her former boyfriends, even when she was still dating them.