Chapter 40: Making A Date

Stacy

"Do you think I'm attractive?"

"What?" I gawked at Sophia.

"Do you think I'm attractive?"

"No, I heard you the first time."

"So, DO you think I'm--"

"We-e-e-e-i-rd question to ask your sister," I said, tightening the pink garter around my long golden ponytail. I wore a pink sweatband, a black tank top, and pink yoga pants. I was barefoot while performing my weekly dance-exercise session in front of my white laptop, which was playing my usual Just Dance compilation.

I vigorously followed the movements to "Timber" and I smiled as my whole body was coated in both sweat and adrenaline.

"Ace, does boob size really matter?"

I nearly tripped over my bare feet.

"Sop, you're ruining my concentration!" I whipped my head around so fast, my blonde ponytail stuck to my cheek for a second. "And why the hell are you talking about that right now?"

The brown-eyed brunette removed her eyeglasses and looked down at her chest thoughtfully.

"Cup sizes and breast sizes are different, aren't they?" she asked without glancing up.

I never thought I would hear Sophia talk about something so personal. Yes, we're twins, but she had always been the practical one. The conservative one. The shy one in baggy clothes.

I bet this had something to do with Lucas.

My sisterly sky blue eyes found her curious brown eyes. "Sop, your B cup is perfectly fine."

She stole a glimpse of my own chest. "You're a C, aren't you? How do you do that?"

Lord, have mercy on me. "What brought up this sudden obsession with chest sizes?"

For the first time since my 19-year-old sister pelted me with random questions, her face turned cherry-red. She avoided my eyes while putting her eyeglasses back on. "No reason," she mumbled, suddenly embarrassed.

Silence.

When I thought my brown-haired twin was done with twenty questions, I reached for the PLAY button on my white laptop and resumed my workout session.

"Hey, Ace. Does my butt look big to you?"

God, give me strength. I paused my video and turned to look at Sophia's fidgety stance on her green-colored bed. She was sitting in an Indian position and she was wringing her fingers.

Planting my hands on my hips,I pinned a hard stare on my twin's nervous face. "Sop, has Lucas been making you feel self-conscious?"

"No!" she immediately answered, meeting my gaze. "I was just.. wondering.." she coughed, looking away for a brief moment, before she looked at me again. "Are all guys into shapely girls?" She paused, still watching me closely. "Like.. skinny girls.. with big.. um.. well, you get what I'm trying to say!" she said quickly with a wave of her hand.

I stifled my laughter. "Maybe we need more opinions."

A crease formed between her brows. "You don't mean--"

"Just a few girl friends," I said, and before she could protest, I composed a group text to four girls, my thumb hitting Send within three seconds.

"Who did you contact?" Sophia anxiously chewed on her thumbnail.

"Miles, Emily, Spencer, and Selena," I enumerated, counting off my fingers.

I thought she would ask why I invited my two closest friends but she kept quiet.

Thirty minutes later, everyone piled into our spacious bedroom, spreading out on the dark green carpet of Sophia's half of the room. She often remarked how the rug resembled lush grass.

"I've got snacks!" cheered Miles, her dark hair in a low bun and her white shirt tucked into khaki shorts. An armload of chips and sweets were engulfed in her arms as she entered the room.

"And I've got drinks," announced Selena, her bronze locks spilling down her back. She wore a sleeveless black top, denim pants, black flip flops which she kicked off, and she carried six different types of soda cans in her arms.

"We brought Buster!" giggled Emily and Spencer, both of them hugging one end of our family Beagle, whose tail was wagging with joy.

Miles examined the cute dog cautiously. "Won't he pee on the carpet? Or worse, poop?"

"Nope," I assured her as I caressed Buster's brown and white coat. "He's well-trained. He never vandalizes our bedroom. Isn't that right, boy?" I cooed, still stroking his soft fur.

Spencer clapped her hands. "Let Sophia's discomfort begin!"

Sophia's face whitened. "My what?"

"Nothing," we all chorused.

Lucas

"Sir, could you please sign this document?"

I looked up at the secretary assigned to me. She had a black pixie cut, teal eyes, and her slim frame was clad in a formal white blouse tucked into a navy blue pencil skirt.

"Thanks, Felicia," I said, grabbing the thin folder from her hand.

My brown eyes raced over the black ink for a few minutes before I signed my name at the bottom, then I returned the folder to Felicia. "Here you go," I told her.

I inwardly flinched when,in the act of retrieving the folder, her fingers brushed against mine.

Probably sensing my uneasiness, Felicia's lips curved into a big smile. "Thank you, sir."

Fortunately, she spun on her black heel and walked out of my office straight afterwards.

The clock on my computer read 7:30pm. My shift ended at 8:00, but I was already done with all my duties for the day so I closed my tabs--all eighteen of them--and I felt my lips twitch into a reminiscent smile as my brown eyes looked at the wallpaper on my desktop.

On the wide screen was a picture of a black-haired guy in a school uniform with his arm wrapped around his smiling girlfriend. Her wavy brown tresses cascaded over her shoulders like a silky chocolate waterfall, and her happy face glowed so brightly while she stretched out one of her arms to snap the picture of us. In the background was a blue wall and a closed window.

It was the day we became a couple. The day she watched over me in the school clinic three months ago.

The day I became the luckiest man alive.

I reached inside my pocket and fished out my black phone, then I dialed her number. She answered after three rings. "Hello?" I could hear her smiling through receiver.

"Hey," I said, swiveling in my tall black chair so I was facing the simple gray wall.

"Working hard, stranger?" Sophia asked in a cheerful tone, her voice melting my stress away.

"Always," I replied, grinning as I spun around a little. "Ya?"

"Yup?"

"If you want to call me, call me. Anytime, okay?" I told her.

Sophia didn't answer right away. "Okay."

"It's my day-off tomorrow," I informed my girlfriend. "Let's go on a date?"

"Movies?" she asked, as if reading my mind.

"Then dinner," I agreed. "I'll pick you up at seven, when your shift ends."

"I love you, Lucas."

"I love you, too, Ya."