Chapter 38: New Thoughts

Sophia

I knocked on the wooden door three times. I waited five minutes, but no one answered.

After another set of raps and five more minutes of anticipation, I nervously pushed open the door and stuck my head inside the cold, sophisticated room.

Hmm.. I scanned my environment. Pale gray walls, high ceiling, red carpeted floor.One wall of the vast room was a ceiling-to-floor window decorated with black velvet drapes.

Sitting in the middle of the room was a long mahogany table that could probably seat thirty people, fifteen on each side.

When I looked to my left, I was taken aback to see a connecting door that may lead to another room.

A room within a room.

Room-ception.

I gingerly placed my brown tote bag on one side of the sleek conference table and took stealthy steps towards the adjoining wooden door.

Stacy often told me that eavesdropping was fun and dangerous, which was why she frequently did it whenever she got the opportunity. She said that minding your own business was boring, and I used to admonish her for her dented morals.

But now, as I leaned near the door and pressed my ear against it, I started questioning my own beacon of ethics. I think the light was dimming a little, but at the moment, I didn't care.

"Lucas," said a man's voice. He sounded like he was in his late twenties, and I detected a heavy British accent. "I wondered if I could pick your brains about something?"

"No problem." My heart skipped a beat when I heard my boyfriend speak. "Just let me organize these documents." Papers shuffling and swivel chairs gliding along a carpeted floor.

After a few seconds, I overheard Lucas say: "You have to think of Royal Shortbread as a brand." He paused. "Tucker,you're sitting on something that could be a huge global success, but you need to raise its profile. Find a story, a personality, a USP, an angle. Establish your brand values." He sounded all fired up and enthusiastic, and I was really happy to hear him like that.

"Absolutely," said Mr. Tucker anxiously. "Um.. Lucas, you've been terribly helpful. I can't thank you enough."

"Really, it's nothing." Lucas's voice was full of confidence and determination, I felt my heart swell with pride. "But you need to sort yourself out, Tucker. Build an effective business team, strategize, and go from there." More papers rustling together. "I'll read those contracts for you and give you my take on them." I faintly heard what sounded like a suitcase being hoisted up a table. Good grief, how did blind people do it, living life without seeing anything?

"I know your people have approved them, but as I said, I think you can do better," said Lucas.

"Really, Lucas," protested Mr. Tucker feebly. "You've given me far too much time and expertise already--"

"Don't be ridiculous." Tap tap tap. I strained to listen to the sounds from behind the door. I fastened my eyes and paid better attention. Tap tap tap. That was the usual pace of Lucas jabbing at his black phone.

Mr. Tucker suddenly blurted out: "Lucas, I know you have your own company. But I'd be delighted to offer you a sideline job. Business manager or PR consultant of the entire state, all my concerns. Any salary. Any terms."

"A job?" Lucas sounded flummoxed.

"I believe it would be a brilliant idea, assigning you to the Advertising department," said Mr. Tucker, his voice clear and growing more animated. "I've heard many good things about you, Lucas. You've accomplished so much in very little time and at such a young age. You have a lot to offer to my industry."