Chapter 36: Stranger Things

Sophia

We were seated by one of the square windows overlooking the sky and trees.

I looked across the square table at Liam and Vivien, the latter looking perturbed.

The three of us were awaiting our orders in a blanket of uneasy quiet.

"I was skeptical," started Liam, shattering the ice. "Viv said she met a new friend in a bookstore but it was serendipitous that it turned out to be you." He shot me a sanguine smile.

I wanted to give a wry smile but the discomfiture swimming in Vivien's gray eyes stopped me.

"I just want to gander a guess here," said Vivien, her voice strained.

Liam and I turned to her expectantly.

Vivien stole a glimpse at me. "Sophia is the best friend you were talking about?"

Liam nodded his blond head.

"And..." Gray eyes met my warm brown eyes. "Liam is your best friend?"

I nodded as well, feeling nervous. I tucked a strand of brown hair behind my ear, then I drummed my fingers on my denim-clad lap.

Vivien seemed to sound strangled as she carried the conversation. "How long have you known each other, Li?"

Fudge. She calls him Li. I should probably refrain from calling him the same manner.

"Five years," Liam answered.

The waiter came with our food, placing homey plates on our clothed, square table.

For Vivien: Eggs Benedict and spinach & mushroom lasagna.

For Liam: A baked tofu walnut burger and a bowl of steaming chowder.

And for me: One egg salad sandwich, 5 pieces of veggie dumplings, and a grilled cheese sandwich. The anxiety on Vivien's face melted into a stunned look when she saw my order.

"Sorry," I murmured with a warm smile I hoped would thaw out the lingering tension.

"Why are you apologizing?" Vivien shook her head firmly. "I'm jealous you have such a hearty appetite and still maintain such a svelte form!"

I chuckled at her openness. I really wanted her to feel at ease around me. I've waited a long time for Liam to meet someone new--a girl who would love him and cherish him. Vivien had the energy of an adventurer and the heart of a princess, and she and Liam seemed perfect for each other.

We were perusing our menus for which dessert to order when Vivien spoke up.

"Sophia.." she called my name plaintively.

I glanced up from my menu to meet her timid gaze. "Yup?"

"I'm sorry," she said, reaching for my hand across the table.

"Why?" I eyed her carefully.

"I just.." she bit down on her lower lip. "I really, really like Liam ,and to find out that his best friend and first love was none other than S. Green--you--I felt so insecure. I mean, you're so perfect."

"Perfect?" I gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "I have flaws, Vivien. Everyone does."

She nodded. "You know what I mean. You're smart, funny, charming, and you've achieved a lot at such a young age. I mean, how many 19-year-olds have three bestseller novels?"

I didn't know how to respond to that.

"Who am I compared to you? How can I possibly compete with S. Green? You have brains, beauty, and heart. I'm truly baffled that we're even friends. You've always been my idol."