Chapter 78: Back to Square One

Sophia

I breathed a sigh of relief when the clock struck 5:00.

"Freedom!" Stacy cheered from the other side of the room. A few employees angrily shushed her, and she muttered a sincere apology before springing up from her swivel chair, leaving her cubicle to trespass into mine. "Sop, let's go--" her ice-blue eyes stared at me. "Why.. are your eyes.. red and swollen?" she asked calmly, but behind her smile I knew she was seething.

"Let's go home," I said, ignoring her question and the curious look Cindy, my superior, was shooting me. I gathered my things and slung my handbag over my shoulder. I scooped up a couple of thick folders I needed to take with me, then looked back at my blonde sister.

"No." She watched me intently. "We're going to have an early dinner. I'm buying."

"Stacy--"

"This has gone on long enough. You have to talk to him, Sophia. If you can do it now, I'll wait for you in the lobby." She smiled encouragingly, grabbing one of my hands and squeezing it affectionately.

I stared at her determined face, and I sighed, feeling suddenly nervous. "Okay," I conceded.

Five minutes later, I was knocking on the door of Lucas's office. When I heard him say "Come in" I pushed the door, then stepped inside the familiar room--it exuded power and sophistication.

Upon entering, I spotted Lucas standing behind his desk, his head bowed as he studied some documents between his thumb and palm, his other hand touching his chin in deep concentration.

He looked up, startled to see me. "Sophia," he said calmly. "What are you doing here?"

I leisurely walked towards his desk. "My shift is over, Lucas. I came here not as an employee but as your girlfriend.. or do I no longer hold the right to call myself that?"

His brown eyes were full of vulnerability, and I felt relief wash over me. His coldness has melted away into a warm demeanor. His defenses were lowered. I took that as my chance to approach him until we were sandwiching the marble desk. Still, I maintained a reasonable distance from Lucas, who put his papers down on his table.

"I think this conversation would be better held over dinner," he said with a weak smile.

Dinner. Right. I awkwardly lifted my right index finger in the air. "Yes, of course. Just give me a second.." I turned my back on him and checked my phone.I was about to text Stacy but she was already calling me. When I answered her call.."Hey, Sop.. I was wondering.. could you invite Lucas to dinner instead? Bryce just arrived to take me out on a date.. and I kind of told him yes.."

I didn't know whether to cry or to laugh. "No problem," I told my sister before I hung up.

When I turned to face Lucas again, he was eyeing me in bemusement. I smiled widely at him and said: "Don't ask." I nodded my head at the door. "Let's go?"

Lucas

"This tastes so good." Sophia moaned in delight, her eyes closed as she enjoyed her grilled steak with white rice coated in gravy. She swallowed happily, then ate some crispy french fries after dipping it into her small bowl of ketchup.

When Sophia moaned again, I struggled not to show my discomfort. My heart was beating rapidly and I felt my entire face heating up in embarrassment. She looked beautiful as always, her long brown hair tied up in a high, wavy ponytail, her long lashes fluttering over her deep brown eyes, her naturally rosy cheeks and full pink lips bringing color to her oval-shaped face. Even in a simple white formal blouse, black pencil-skirt and black heels, she was undoubtedly breathtaking.