Chapter 32: No Second Chances

Stacy

Oliver led me to an isolated part of the nightclub, right near the fire exit.

I sat on the white ledge of a tall, wide window, the upper-half open, allowing a cold gust of wind to blow on my face, and I shut my eyes for a second, relishing the evening breeze nip at my skin.

Fluttering my eyes open, I locked gazes with Oliver, who was standing about five feet away from me, his demeanor carefree, his brown eyes looking jet-black from a distance.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked him, one hand on my lap, the other resting on the window ledge. The cool, evening air was making my golden bun sway in various directions.

Oliver studied me intently. "I heard you took up Fashion Design, like you always wanted?"

A tender smile graced my lips. My light blue eyes met his brown ones. "That's right."

"I'm happy for you," he said. I examined his face and saw sincerity etched over it.

"Thanks," I replied. "And you're studying in the states to be a doctor?" When we were still a couple, Oliver often mentioned to me that he dreamed of becoming a professional in medicine.

"I am," he said, shuffling one foot over the other.He cast me a meaningful glance. "Stacy, I want to ask you something."

Tilting my head to one side quizzically, I peered at his rueful expression. "Shoot," I prompted.

Oliver fixed me with a hopeful smile. "Have you moved on from me?"

I didn't even have to think about it. "Yes." I regarded him sternly. "I have."

"Oh." His face fell. "Because I haven't entirely lost my feelings for you," he mumbled, sounding crestfallen and disheartened.

I felt no remorse toward his dismayed voice and his dejected brown eyes. We had our time and it was over.

"Stacy, I still thought about you when I was in America," he continued, as if it would change our relationship. Oliver took one step closer to me. "I felt guilty every time I saw someone with their baby, and it reminded me of how we split up."

I said nothing.

He slightly advanced some more. "Whether or not you had an abortion, I'm willing to still give us a second chance. We were so great together, you and I." He reached up to touch my cheek, and I flinched. "Stacy.." he huskily called my name, his thumb caressing my cheek. Two years ago I would have melted under his touch, but I just didn't feel anything for him anymore.

Oliver leaned forward, his face inching closer to mine, but when his lips were mere inches away from my lips, I clapped my hand over his mouth, coaxing his brown eyes to open.

"Don't talk until I'm finished," I told him, my palm cupping half his face. "A couple of years ago, I quarreled with you over a slice of fruitcake. We got stuck in detention for a few hours. You asked me out, and we fell in love." I paused. "For three months I devoted myself to you, Oliver. I gave you everything, but that wasn't the worst thing I did in our relationship." I flashed him a scornful smile. "I trusted you." I felt him part his lips so I pressed my palm harder on his mouth.

"For once, just listen." I gave Oliver a wide-eyed stare, shutting him up. "We could have lasted longer than three months, but I know you've wondered why we didn't. I used to assign all the blame on you for our breakup. But then I also realized I shared fault. I didn't have to let go of you. I didn't need to surrender on our relationship." I removed my hand from his face. "But I wanted to."

I pulled away from him and pushed my butt off the white window ledge.

"Stacy."

I showed him a lopsided grin. "You still tend to interrupt me when I'm speaking."

"And you're still as sassy as ever," he said, smiling sadly.

"Oliver, the very notion that you believed I would abort a baby proves how much you don't know me and how badly you wanted to escape becoming a teenage father."

His brown eyes widened in astonishment. "S-so.. you.. y-you're.. a..."

The pure horror on his face grated my nerves a little. "No, I'm not a mother. I was never pregnant. The rumors in high school were all bullshit, as usual." I linked both my hands behind me and shrugged.

Oliver gazed at me, his shoulders drooped. "So I have zero chance with you."

"Zero," I affirmed, nodding my head.

He brought his fingers up to my chin. "Just one kiss," he cajoled.

I smacked his hand away, glowering at him. "Oliver, I don't love you anymore."

"Come on," he stubbornly urged me. "You can love me again."

I laughed a hollow laugh. "My heart belongs to someone else now and I have no intention of letting him return it to me."

"Couldn't have said it better myself."

Oliver and I whipped our heads to the source of the third voice.

My heart skipped a beat at the sight of a tall, brown-haired, blue-eyed 19-year-old wearing a white shirt, charcoal gray blazer, and deep blue pants.

"Bryce," I breathed. I knew I should have feigned composure but seeing him, being here at the perfect time,I didn't give a damn about how eager I looked.

I rushed towards Bryce but Oliver grabbed my wrist so forcefully I winced at the pain.

"We're not done talking," he growled, tightening his fingers around my skin.

I clenched my teeth, squeezing my eyes closed when Oliver pulled me to him.

"Release her," I heard Bryce command furiously.

"Or what, you're gonna punch me?"

"For someone planning on becoming a doctor, you're quite shameless in inflicting bodily harm on a person, especially an ex-girlfriend. I pity your future patients, really."

Bryce's words made me flutter my sky blue eyes open and made Oliver's grip loosen from my slender wrist. Just how long had he been standing nearby and how much did he hear?

I glanced at Bryce. He was looking at me, frowning, but his blue eyes held a gentle sparkle.

When he offered me his hand, I hastily accepted it, our fingers intertwined. I felt warm. I felt safe. I felt loved.

Also, my left wrist felt a bit sore from Oliver's hold.

"I'll take you home," announced Bryce.

At his words, I suddenly felt a queasy curdling inside my stomach. In that moment, I knew my tough facade would crumble soon. All the alcoholic liquid I chugged earlier was moving up and down inside the pit of my tummy like a water fountain.

I didn't want to vomit on Bryce, so I swallowed it despite tasting extremely gross.

"Stacy?"

I puffed out my cheeks, my hand flying to my mouth. "Please bring me to your condo," I said before passing out on the carpeted floor.