Chapter 27

The following weeks to come saw the further incline of Hunter and I's relationship

The following weeks to come saw the further incline of Hunter and I's relationship. Despite us not seeing each other as much due to his busy schedule with the season opener around the corner, Hunter would still FaceTime when he could.

Whether he was away at his last two preseason games, Photoshoots, promotional events, and even before the ESPYS—which I declined going to because I wasn't ready for that just yet—he made time to call.

He planned on taking me out after the Giants game, which I was really looking forward to after not really seeing him for a while.

I spent my weeks leading up to the game either at home or at work. The usual lunch breaks were spent with Ruby and Laurel—who I've started to become close to. I've come to have a distrust with Ruby even though I forgave her, it just wasn't the same with us anymore.

Laurel and I, on the other hand, connected instantly. We had the same humor and intellect—she's kind of like the best friend I never had.

I mean I had friends back home in Florida, but they were the type of friends you were cool with at first, but then just drifted apart from. I partially blame my parents for not letting me go out and hang with them in the first place.

We were currently on break together eating lunch, Ruby didn't come in to work today calling in sick—it was just Laurel and I.

"You know back home in Georgia, I never had real friends. I live in what felt like a small town and people gossiped. Moving to New York was my escape. So you're like my first real friend, a breath of fresh air almost" she said laughing lightly

"Same. New York was my kinda escape too" I said nodding

"In what sense" she asks curiously

It was nice to finally be able to form real genuine relationships. I was just about to answer when my phone rang a FaceTime call from Hunter, which I declined sending a text that I'll call him back.

Laurel peeped it, his name coming up boldly on my phone screen. I really need to change his contact name.

"I've been hanging with you long enough to know he calls way too much to just be your friend" she said smiling "so what's the tea?"