Chapter 30

He was born for this

       He was born for this. I saw it in the way the ball would fly out of his hands effortlessly. I saw it in the way he maneuvered around the field in effort to avoid getting tackled by the opposing defense. I saw it in the passion he emitted when he failed to complete a fourth down— he'd sit almost angrily on the bench as the Giants defense began to take the field in his place.

I saw it all and it amazed me. Almost as much as it amazed me how loud his mother would scream profanities at the other team when they scored a touchdown.

I'd say we were equally as passionate. The amount of "are you fucking kidding me's" said between the both of us were plentiful.

Celine was just kind of confused the whole time. She only cheered during touchdowns, she was especially confused when I'd cheer during first downs. She'd ask "what just happened? Why are they cheering" in which I'd reply "shh".

There was no time for me to explain the game to her. I was way too entranced by what I was watching.

It was halftime and the Giants were up by 14—the score was 24 - 10 against the Dallas Cowboys.

Celine decided she wanted to get up to get something to eat "you want anything?" She asks with a raised brow

"Actually I'd like-"

"Nothing? Oh okay well I'll be back with my food then" she said laughing as she quickly made her exit

This bitch

I knew Celine would bring me back something regardless, but she play to much

I just sat in my seat as I waited for her to get back. I subconsciously began nodding my head to the loud music playing in the stadium.

"You seem to be as big of a fan of my son as I am" I heard from the left side of me causing me to turn. My eyes meeting Hunter's Mothers. I guess she noticed my vigorous clapping and cheers every time Hunter threw the ball.

"Whose your son?" I questioned as if I didn't know already

"Hunter Reece believe it or not" she said with a proud smile

"Oh wow he's your son?" Duh stupid she just said it "you must be so proud" I said with a smile

"Yes I'm extremely proud" she said beaming "I'm Julie by the way"

"Nadia" I responded back

"Nice to meet you Nadia" Hunter's mom gave off a warm friendly vibe, she seemed like a really nice woman.

"You know you are so pretty for a black girl, like extremely gorgeous" she said kindly

And here she goes fucking shit up

I internally cringed, pretty for a black girl. Why couldn't I just be pretty—there's plenty of pretty black women out there. I had two options: Just take the compliment and pretend she ain't say what I know she said or call her out on it knowing full well shit can go south.