*The Age of Steel*

!EDITED!

A/N: was 8350 words, is now 11296! Enjoy! :D

The Cybermen were closing in on us, closer and closer until the Doctor suddenly holds up the TARDIS power cell. A massive beam of golden energy shoots out of the cell and hits the Cyberman right in front of us, bouncing off and onto the others as well. The energy disintegrated them into particles - it was sort of like when Rose destroyed the Daleks on the Game Station, only more violent. "What the hell was that?" Ricky asks, staring at the cell.

"Or how about instead, run!" the Doctor shouts, grabbing my hand and we all run in the opposite direction.

We come to a halt when a blue van stops in front of us, "everybody in!" the woman driving shouts and Ricky and Blondie hurry into the front.

Pete runs off toward the mansion and the Doctor quickly lets go of my hand to restrain him. "I've got to go back!" Pete fights against the hold on him. "My wife's in there!"

"Anyone inside that house is dead," the Doctor tells him softly, but urgently. "If you want to help, then don't let her die for nothing! You've got to come with us right now!"

After a moment, Pete reluctantly nods and hops into the back of the van. "Come on, get a move on!" the driver shouts, honking the horn.

I move over to Rose - who was staring at the mansion - and take her hand in mine, "come on," I mutter, but she shakes her head with tears in her eyes.

"Rose," the Doctor puts a hand on her shoulder. "She's not your mother," he reminds her gently.

"... I know," she whispers.

"Come on," I repeat, tugging on her hand.

Rose gets in the van and sits beside Pete with Mouse getting in after and sitting beside her. The Doctor hops in the back and then holds a hand out, helping me climb in and we sit on the opposite side of them.

The driver scoffs, "finished chatting? Never seen a slower getaway in my life!" she drives off.

"What was that thing?" Ricky asks and I see him glaring at the cell in the Doctor's hand through the grating that was separating the front and back of the van.

"Little bit of technology from my home," the Doctor shrugs.

"It's stopped glowing... has it run out?" Mouse asks worriedly.

"It's on a revitalizing loop," I shake my head.

"It'll charge back up in about four hours," the Doctor mutters, slipping it back in his pocket.

"Right, so we don't have a weapon anymore," Ricky scoffs.

"It's not a weapon," I shoot him a glare.

The Doctor's lips pull in a smile and he wraps an arm around my shoulders, pulling me close as he runs his thumb up and down my arm. I wrap my arms around myself and cross my ankles, snuggling into his warmth.

"Yeah, we've got weapons," Blondie puts in. "Might not be one of those metal things, but they're good enough for men like him," he nods to Pete, making me frown.

"Leave him alone!" Rose snaps, glaring at him. "What's he done wrong?"

"Oh, you know, just laid a trap that's wiped out the government and left Lumic in charge," he rolls his eyes.

"If I was part of that, do you think I'd leave my wife inside?" Pete demands.

"Maybe your plan went wrong," Ricky shrugs. "Still give us the right to execute you, though," he glares.