28

Shu yawned as we sat and watched tv. Sam and Jeremiah decided to go,out for coffee around eight. I looked over at the clock. It was noon. "Dont you think they should be home by now?" I asked him. He chuckled. "You're not their mom. Dont worry about them. I trust Jeremiah enough to get Sam home safely." I continued to looked at him. "How do you know Jeremiah anyway?" Shu looked down at me with a uncertainty. "Well, she was my friend when my mom was alive." He looked at the tv. "She?" I asked. Shu smiled, not looking at me. "Back then, Jeremiah was known by 'Abby'. I'm glad he is who he loves now. Back then, his dad would start screaming if he heard me or Edgar call him Jeremiah." I was even more interested. "Who's Edgar?" Shu tensed up. "Edgar, was a lot more unlucky as Jeremiah and me." "What happened to him?"
Shu looked as if he were going to cry. "Jeremiah, Edgar, and me played together all the time when I could escape. One day, we found a dog." He looked down at me. "It was just a puppy. We all decided that we'd take turns caring for the dog. Jeremiah took him home first, then Edgar. When my turn came, I took him home. I thought I'd be able to sneak passed my mom, but I wasn't able to. She caught me and took the dog. I found out hours later that she had killed the puppy." His voice cracked. I could understand. Seeing an animal dead or finding out something that was alive moments before and wasnt now, was pretty hard on a child. "I also made big mistake. When my mom was trying to take the dog, i kept screaming that Edgar gave me him. That i had to care for him. Edgar will be upset and to stop."
He sighed and played with my hair. "Later that night, I went to tell Edgar and Jeremiah what happened, but the building was up in flames. At the edge of the building was Reiji. Covered in my friends blood." Shu was silent for a while. "I thought Jeremiah had also died, until he showed up at school."
I was silent, then, like a rock, it finally hit me, why he wanted to keep me secret. It wasn't his other brothers he was worried about. It was Reiji. He was the one who killed Edgar and he was more than willing to kill me.
I hugged Shu tightly. "I'm sorry."