Chapter 13: Runaway Eddie

Eddie's POV

By the time I get to the train station it's already dark and closed. I had stopped by home to pick up clothes, my wallet, fanny pack, phone, and a blanket. I try to open the doors for the train station but it's locked, I look around and see a bench I slowly walk over while dragging my bike. My mom would've never approved of me sleeping on such a filthy bench, but forget her. I set up my blanket and lay down. I open my phone and see texts from Richie, Bev, Bill, Stan, and basically all the Losers. I don't open any of them, I go through my pictures so I could see what I could delete then I find a video of me and Richie. I was trying to take a selfie but I accidentally recorded it instead, but basically I'm moving the phone around trying to figure out why it's not taking the picture then Richie comes in kissing me and cuddles with me and turns the video off. I keep scrolling and see the selfies we took after that video. I feel my face burning up and I try to hold back my tears but then I realize no one is here so I let it out. I reach into my pocket and pull out the picture I found in Richies car and cry even more.

I keep telling myself I don't have to leave town and I could escape her while staying in town but the more I try to plan it out the more I doubt it. I pick up my phone and open Richies contact, I hold my finger right over the green call button. I slowly squeeze it tighter pressing it in but let go. As I close my phone it starts vibrating, I look and see Richie's calling me I hesitate, I wait, I get my finger ready to answer, and just as I put my finger on the button the call goes to voicemail. I close my phone and lay back into the bench, I snuggle up in my blanket and go to sleep with tears in my eyes.

Richie's POV

I lay awake on Bev's couch trying not to wake the other Losers, I tell myself it's just because I can't sleep but I know I still think he'll call. I keep checking my phone every 5 minutes until I hear Bev's voice in the darkness saying,
"He's not calling Richie."
"That's not why I'm up." I say trying to lie.
She sighs and says,
"Come here, we could try calling one more time."
I crawl on the floor trying to find Bev, I finally bump into her, she takes the phone out of my hand and calls,
it rings, and rings, and rings, until it goes to voicemail. We stay quiet as she passes me my phone and I toss it to the couch. I start to crawl back on to the couch to cry when Bev asks,
"If you still can't sleep do you want to watch movies or something?"
There's a silence but then I say,
"Yeah, sure."
I lay on the couch and hug my pillows when Bev ask,
"What movie?"
I think for a bit, "The Ring."
"Really Richie? Don't throw yourself a pity party."
"I'm not... I just, I like that movie."
"Whatever you say." she says as she puts the DVD into the player.
She sits on the floor in front of me. She leans back onto the couch.
"You could sit on the couch if you want."
"I'm good."

We watch the whole movie and by the time it finishes I'm half asleep.
"Bev..."
"Yeah."
"Do you think he'll really come back?" There's a long awkward pause until she says,
"I know he loves you, and I know he wants you to be happy."
"Bev just answer my question." she sighs and says,
"He wants to Richie and he didn't mean to lie... but you know he can't."
We both say nothing and I fall asleep.

Eddies POV

I wake up late in the morning to the sound of sirens. I cover my ears with the blanket trying to get some more rest but rows of police cars pass by. I get up and pack my blanket in the backpack, I take Richie's picture out of my pocket and hold it in my hands as I walk to the ticket booth. There's an old man with a red sweater inside the booth.
"Where to?"
I hesitate knowing I only have enough for a one way ticket. I finally manage push out the words,
"Lincolnville."
He goes through cabinets and pulls out a ticket.
"Does 12:15 work?"
"Sure."
"That'll be 15 dollars."
I pull out a twenty and hand it to him. He gives me my change and I wait inside the station and sit in a much more comfortable chair. I check my phone and see I don't have any new missed calls or messages. I look at the time and sigh once I find out it's only 9:34, I debate whether I should open Richie's text or not. I decide not to because I know it'll only make me cry and I'll go to him then get him in trouble. I go through my message logs and see my moms text, I open it up and see all the bull shit she's been texting me. Most of it is her telling me I can't make it in the real world and she would find me, but, she also sent me about 4 text saying that I can't go to my dads house. Then 1 saying she was going to the Losers houses to find me.