Jesse's return???

Zak POV.

Pain shifted from my neck to the base of my spine. Like hot rods piercing my spinal cord as I tried to roll over in bed.

Christ, what the hell has hit me?

I almost got up out of bed when the sweet but spicy scent caught my nose and I instantly relaxed against the softness of the mattress and dragged the pillow from the other side of the bed across and smelt it, Brittany.

It registered in my mind that the uncomfortableness may just be from her not being beside me. After 6 months of being attached to someone, their distance and warmth really make a difference.

She won't be long.. Then we can lay here all damn day.

Nothing seemed more satisfying than that, just spending the day watching the weather turn from outside. There was a weather warning out for rain, but whether it really started or not, was another issue. If it did, I just hope that Britt made it back before it began. Especially as Vegas turns into a freakin' river when it does. Lack of drainage systems it would seem, I suppose you'd never have guessed that you needed it in a desert.

I waited. Waited for Britt, waited for Gracie, waited for a day of spooning and sleeping. But nothing came.

Reaching across, I plucked up my phone and rang her number, wondering if she had been caught by my mom. I knew they could both talk but an hour & a half?

Rubbing my eyes, I yawned as I waited for the call to connect when a different voice answered.

"Hello?" I questioned.

"Hello, my name is Officer Parker. I'm one of Clark County's—"

"Where's Brittany?!" I snap feeling my heart rate lunge instantly.

"Sir there's been an accident...."

Suddenly I was wide awake.

.............

Shoving the double doors to the hospital open, I ignored the looks I was given and blocked out all the traffic violations I've probably just procured from getting here. I think I ran a few red lights but stopping and waiting whilst she was here... It wasn't an option. No.

My eyes flickered around looking for someone to help guide me when I caught sight of the lilac scrubs and instantly beeline through the hustle of people to her.

"Excuse me? I'm looking for a lady, she's just been brought in. A road accident."

"Yes, sir. Follow me to the desk and I can tell you were your...."

"Assist— partner. My partner." I answered.

"I'll find out where your partner is too."

Hot on her tail, she took me to the desk and began taking Brittany's details from me when she glanced up at me and back down.

"Have you got ID?"

Frowning, I fished out my driver's license and handed it over. She glanced at it before handing it back.

"We do have a patient here, however..."

"What? What is it?" I ask desperately.

"Unfortunately sir, you're not her next of Kin."

"And? I'm her part—"

"At this moment in time sir, I am only allowed to give access to her next of kin. I do apologise—"

"Don't tell me I can't see her! I need to see her!" I snap.

"Unfortunately I can't—"

"No! You don't understand!"