19

" Man, you guy's really are hungry, huh?" Dallas questions, Johnny stuffing his face as Baby eats a bit slower, since his stomach still isn't agreeing with him, even though his fever broke. And whether the question was rhetorical or not, it was never answered. " That guy you killed had a bunch of friends. It's all over town: Soc against Grease. I've started carrying around a heater."

" Heaters get people killed, Dal," Johnny warns him, stuffing another fry into his mouth.

" Our and Shepard's Gang are gonna have it out with the Socs in the vacant lot tomorrow night. What do you do for kicks around here? Checkers or something, man?" Dallas asks, deciding to smoke a cigarette. He tries to hand Baby one, who shockingly passes the option. Since he had gotten sick he didn't want anything in his system, including cigarettes. The only reason he was eating now was to not draw attention.

" It's weird. I've never been to the country before," Johnny adds, Baby giving a hum in agreement, his mouth filled with coke and fries. It stays quiet until Johnny says, " We're gonna turn ourselves in." The sentence alone made Baby choke on his food and drink. He leans over the car door, coughing up the chewed food, the coke splattering on the concrete.

" When did I agree to this?" Baby coughs, spitting out the food and throw up taste in his mouth. He didn't need to spit it out, it just gave him a reason not to eat though.

" Just think, Baby. It was self-defense. We can testify. We won't tell them you helped us, Dally. And I'll give you back your gun. You won't get in any trouble, Dal."

" What is wrong with you?" Baby questions. Just thinking of Johnny going to jail or getting the death penalty makes him feel sicker than he was days before.

" It's not fair I'm making your mom wait for you. She's probably worried. I guess my folks aren't worrying."

" We're your folks!" Baby exclaims, a fire growing in his eyes. Dallas decides to drive to a more secluded area, allowing the two to fight it out where no one can see and call the fuzz on them. " I know Two-Bit well enough he'd go to Texas to find you. Not me, you! The only reason he talks to me is because his dad banged my mom."

" At least you have a mother to take care of you!" Johnny hollers, turning in his seat to look at Babyboy.

" You don't know shit! She doesn't care about me. The only time she talks to me is once a day to find out if I've gotten a job. And when I say 'no' I get a smack across the face or sometimes worse if she drank." The words hit Johnny and Dallas. No one had ever been over to Baby's house. He always said everything at his house was 'cool' or changed the topic. Looks like he lied. " Having the same blood doesn't mean that they're your family. Your family is someone who would die for you every day, Johnny." Baby relaxes back into his seat but you can still see his muscles tensed up. Johnny turned around, not wanting to look at the latter. Dallas starts the car again, driving the two without a word.