|11|

Steve, Sodapop, and Darry took the day off, wanting to spend time with their family on Christmas day. They always have a tradition: Instead of opening the presents first thing, they spend the day eating and playing with the small amount of snow they have every year. Then, once it's past eight o' clock, they open all the presents underneath the Christmas tree.

" Food's done! C'mon!" Darry hollers from the kitchen, placing everything in the table. Soon, heavy footsteps are heard walking inside. Sodapop rubs his hand walking inside, ears red like a fire hydrant. Babyboy holds Johnny up, both laughing loudly at the look on Dally's face. Pony bites his lip, holding a grin from forming.

" Oh c'mon! It was funny!" Steve points out, a chuckle escaping his lips. Darry raises his brows, wondering what happened; everyone is red and smiling happily, except Dallas, who pouts dramatically. " Darry, you should've seen it!" Steve tells, sitting down with everyone else. " Dal wasn't looking and Baby hopped on his back, stuffing his with a shit ton of snow!" Laughter echoes across the table, the three youngest going into fits of laughter once more.

Dally's pout forms into a quiet smile. He shakes his head, a quiet chuckle leaving his lips at the three's expression.

" Alright! Alright! I'm starving! Let's eat!" Dal hollers, grabbing the bowl of mash potatoes.

Food is passed around quickly, everyone talking over each other. Laughter still rings, joy across everyone's face. The amount of stress all the boys have has been alleviated. All anyone feels is content.

Soon every plate, bowl, and drink is picked clean. The dinnerware is left in the sink, no one wanting to do it, not even Darry care for it, wanting to wait until tomorrow.

Everyone now relaxes on the floor or couch, bellies full as the watch reruns of Christmas movies. Taking one glance at the clock, Steve notices its eight o' three. A grin grows on his face as he hits Soda lightly, pointing at the clock once more. He smiles, teeth so white its blinding, before shouting, " PRESENTS!" A moment passes before everyone goes to the tree. The people closest pass around all the presents.

  Everybody coos, grins, or laugh at their gifts. Not one was bad. Well, even if they were bad, they were so bad they were good.

Through all the chaos of flying wrapping paper, Baby hands Johnny a small, wrapped box. The latter unwraps it, opening it slowly. He gasps, finding a ring inside.

" O-One f-for me. O-One for you." Baby had gone out as Johnny slept on the couch, going from pawn show to pawn shop. Finally, he found one, trading the ring for Two-Bit's butterfly knife. He kept saying those two line under his breath as much as he could throughout the day. Though he still stuttered, he didn't mess up his words.

" Thank you," Johnny whispers. He places the ring on his left ring finger. Although it's a bit big, he'll grow into it. Somehow, the future seems brighter. Probably because they had each other.