23

With a small groan, Johnny Cade is awake from his slumber on the couch. He smells eggs being cooked before glancing down, seeing his ankle and arm. The memories flood back to him, making him sit up quickly, going to Pony and Soda's room, which is empty. He borrows Ponyboy's clothes, knowing he won't care unless they're not returned. Johnny walks back into the living room, grabbing his tattered jean jacket off the coffee table. He walks into the bathroom, greasing his short hair before walking into the kitchen, finding Pony done with his eggs.

 " Morning Johnny," he greets, throwing him a newspaper, which the latter catches easily. The shower is heard yet both ignore it. " You're in the paper. Says you, Baby, and Dally are heroes." Looking down at the black and white paper, the first thing he sees is all three of their faces.

 " We're not heroes," Johnny mumbles, placing it on the table. " When are we going to see Babyboy?" he asks, hiding his hands in his pockets.

 " When Two-Bit comes over." Johnny slowly nods, turning on the television, which had Mickey Mouse on again. He, more or less, throws himself on the couch, feeling empty at the moment. Baby was his other half, and without him, he felt nearly nothing.

 " Hey there Johnny!" Two-Bit greets him, grabbing his shoulder before walking to the kitchen. The pitter patter and squeaks of footsteps to the living room shows a soaked Sodapop, the only thing covering his manhood is a green towel.

 " Where's my shirt and pants?" Soda asks out loud, Steve walking in as well to give a light snort, going into the kitchen to probably eat some cake.

 " They're in my closet. I ironed them," Darry explains before giving a loud bye, walking out and going to his job. The noise made Johnny's ear twitched, liking it better when he had Baby beside him, both making barely hearable jokes, but made both give a heartful laugh every time. The memory makes a small smile climb onto Johnny's face, hearing everyone talking before two more byes are heard. That leaves Pony, Two-Bit, and Johnny himself.

 " What happened at the church, Johnnycake?" Two-Bit asks, drinking a beer for breakfast. The first thing the latter thinks of was Baby's lips on his, only to force himself to hide the thought, knowing Two-Bit's opinion.

 " It caught fire. Probably from one of our cigarettes. We tried to save these kids, Baby trying to get the last one before I was knocked out. I don't know what happened afterward," Johnny explains all he knows, Two giving a nod before Ponyboy said he was ready to leave too. Johnny hides the smile on his face, knowing nothing will be able to express how happy he is to see Baby again.