Chapter 20

I saw Thalia with a couple of tears going down her face. I knew how she felt.
"Why didn't she tell us?" Thalia asked
"Well..." I started
"She told you" it wasn't a question
"Yeah" I said "well not really..."
"What do you mean?"
I paused debating whether or not I should tell her. I decided she should know the truth.
"Come here" I pulled her to the edge of the woods. "Swear on the river of Styx you won't tell anyone."
"I swear it on the river of Styx" she said
"well you know how she didn't exactly tell me..."
"Oh no" Thalia said
"Well it's sorta my fault she became Paladin." I said "I'm Robin, The Boy Wonder."
"Of course" she sighed

We'd searched for a week everywhere  we could. Nothing came up. It was a Friday at school when Annabeth limped into Barbara's classroom fourth period when I was in there. I stood quickly and rushed to her.
"Percy?" she asked tiredly
"It's me" I said
The bell rang and kids filed out. Annabeth collapsed into a chair.
"Barbara?"
"Yeah?"
"I-I..." she looked close to tears
"Annabeth what's wrong?"
"I-I- kill-killed someone" she said quietly "I-I made you a promise and I-I broke it."
"Annabeth?" I asked
"They-they were going to..." she said "kill you...if I-"
"Shhhhh" Barbara said
"Let's get you some ambrosia" I said
I went to my backpack and grabbed a square for her. She ate it silently.
"Let's get you home" Barbara said
"I was so close to-" Annabeth said "They were going to kill you-"
She started muttering in Greek. I couldn't make out most of it.
"C'mon" Barbara said "I'll take you home"
"No please not-not yet. My dad will know some-something is w-wrong" she said
"Then let's go tell Cass your okay." I said "she's worried out of her mind. And we should Iris Message camp"
Annabeth nodded slowly.
"I'll call Bruce" Barbara offered
Alfred picked us up. Bruce must've been busy.
As soon as Annabeth walked in Cass was on her. Asking her what happened and making sure she was okay. Annabeth looked relieved that she had Cassandra. Maybe partly because she knew how Annabeth felt. Cass ran away  from the league of assassins when she was about eight after killing someone.
Bruce came out of his office and stood watching Annabeth from a distance. He never really did like the fact she stayed as the Paladin. Or the fact the Barbara trained her. I don't know why. He let me take risks. He'd become even less sure since she got shot last year.
He watched her through slit eyes. What was with him? It's like he didn't trust her. I felt anger boil inside me and I glared at him.
Talking to Cass must've helped Annabeth because at about four o'clock she was ready to go home. Luckily her dad just thought she was at camp this whole time. We Iris messaged camp. Thalia wanted to come see Annabeth but Chiron wouldn't let anyone leave right now. Malcolm talked to her for a couple of minutes. He said Tim was making A LOT of progress. It had only been a week.
"Annabeth you should take at least a week off" Bruce said it was a command all of us could tell that.
"Why?" Annabeth asked
"Just to...make sure your...okay" he said Annabeth looked at him.
"Fine" she said

"What is with you?" I demanded
"What do you mean" he asked we were in the BatCave he didn't even look up from the computer.
"She just came back. You don't even say hi you glare and order her to take a break" I yelled
"She needs it" he said
"Why?" I asked "don't you dare tell me it's because she needs to recover. You know her well enough to know the best way for her to recover is to get back out...saving people. Not being forced to watch them die after what-what happened
"Watch it" Bruce growled
"Maybe you should too." I yelled
"Percy there's more at play than you know." He tried to stay calm. I didn't hold back.
"You don't trust her" I accused him "you never really have."
"Percy" he growled
"She'd save my life so many times." I yelled "your life so many times!"
"Perseus Jackson!" He slammed his fist down "you don't know what the league of assassins can do."
"Yeah I don't know that but you know what I know?" I said "it takes a heck of a lot more than a week to break Annabeth Chase!"
"Percy-"
"Hades Bruce!" I yelled "she's been through more than you!"
That was a mistake. He stood.
"You don't know what I've been through. Have you seen your parents murdered in front of you?-"
I cut him off.
"I have Bruce!" I yelled "or have you forgotten why I'm here?"
"Watch your tone" he said
"You coward!" I yelled throwing a Batarang at him. He didn't turn but swayed out of the way.
"Go to your room Percy" he said "now!"
"I trust Annabeth with my life." I said "more than I can say for you"