Chapter 22

It was the last day of school before winter break when Thalia Annabeth and I packed our bags and headed to a new boarding school. Along with my deadly pen I carried an empty stomach and a hope for some food.
Dick Grayson-Wayne was driving us. We rode in silence except for Dick who told us story after story. We pulled up by Westover hall and Thalia wiped fog from the window and looked out. "This'll be fun" she said
"Do you need me to wait?" Dick asked
"No" I said "and tell Alfie not to worry."
"Sure thing" he said
"Don't let Cass mess with my stuff either." I said
"She only does that when you mess with hers" Annabeth said
"Sibling rivalry Wise Girl you never know when it may strike." I said
"Bye Perce" Dick said "call me if you need any-"
"Bye Dick" I said
He drove away and as he left Thalia said
"Your brother is so cool"
It was kinda weird calling Dick my brother but we had both been officially adopted by Bruce. Cass too. Even Jason.
"Yeah" I said distracted "he is...what about you any contact with your family?"
"That none of your business" Thalia snapped glaring at me
"Grover probably waiting" Annabeth said her hair was tucked into a ski cap and she wore her gloves. I wore mine. it was the perfect cover because it was actually cold so we had an excuse to wear them.
We entered to faint music coming from what must've been the Gymnasium. We stashed our bags behind some pillars and made our way to the music. Two people came to us.
"What are you doing here?" The woman asked
"I um-"
Thalia did the weirdest thing I'd ever see her do. She snapped it was loud and sharp.
"We go to school here" she said "I'm Thalia and Percy and Annabeth" she pointed to each of us in turn.
"Do you know these students Dr Thorne?" She asked
"Yes mrs gottschalk I believe I do" he said his accent was different. French? "Don't leave the gymnasium again" he said
We nodded Grover ran up.
"You made it" he said
"What do you mean Mr Underwood they go to school here" Dr Thorne said
"The punch they made the punch" Grover said
We followed Grover towards the gym. I pulled off my gloves and put them in my back pocket. Annabeth did the same.
"What was that snap thing" I asked Thalia
"The Mist?" She asked "Chiron hasn't taught you that?"
"So what's the emergency?" I asked feeling a little hurt about the fact Chiron had taught her that and not me.
"Two half-bloods" Grover said
"Two?" Annabeth asked it was rare to even find one.
"A brother and sister" he said "Bianca and Nico Di Angelo"
I looked over to the bleachers where they were. The girl, Bianca, wore a floppy green hat and was scolding her younger brother about something. He was playing with some cards and figurines. They were obviously siblings they had the same black hair and olive skin tone.
"Any monsters?" I asked
"One you just met him" Grover said he turned to Thalia "what should we do?"
I tried not to look hurt. It used to be that he'd look to me for answers. But Thalia did have seniority not only because she was the daughter of Zeus but also because she had better experience than any of us fighting monsters in the real world.
"They don't know right?" Annabeth asked
"No their scent would become stronger.  Besides I'm not sure if he even knows for sure" Grover finished
"Try to get close to them." Thalia said "without him noticing"
"How will we do that?" I asked
"We dance" she said "come on goat boy"
She yanked Grover onto dance floor.
Annabeth smiled
"What?" I asked
"It's just nice to have her back" she said
"So um...who should I ask to dance?" I asked
She punched me in the gut. "Me seaweed brain"
"Oh yeah" I said
I glanced over to Thalia and Grover to see how they were doing it. She put her hand on my shoulder and I put mine on her waist shyly.
"I won't bite" she said "honestly don't you go to the dances at school?"
I did only because Bruce made me. I avoided Annabeth there. Partly because if she thought I should dance she'd force me to dance. I usually was just in the corner playing basketball.
"So think of any new buildings lately?" I asked
Her eyes lit up. "The new computer program is so much better than it used to be." She went on for a bit about it. "It's just...my dad" Annabeth had gone back to living at camp full time but coming into Gotham and occasionally spending the night at the Manor.
"Oh" I said
"He wants to leave Gotham. Go to San Francisco. He wants me to go with him" she said "but Demigods can't live there"
"Why not?" I asked
"It's right there" she said
"Oh yeah" I had no idea what she was talking about but I didn't want to sound dumb.
"They're gone" she said
"What" I looked over by the bleachers where the Di Angelo's were before.
"We have to find Thalia" she rushed off
"Wait-" I looked over to a side door to see Thorne ushering the Di Angelo's out. I was about to follow Annabeth when I thought of the way Chiron had taught Thalia the thing with the mist and how Grover looked to her for what to do. I hesitated and followed the Bianca and Nico outside.

"Perseus Jackson" Thorne said
I drew Riptide. The celestial bronze glow cast shadows along the walls.
"You aren't leaving thor-" he cut me off a projectile was shot at me. It grazed my shoulder and I felt a burning.
"My employer wants all of you." he said "now come along quietly and you won't die"
"Who wants us who's your employer?" Bianca asked
"Quiet you insufferable girl" throne snapped
"Don't talk to my sister like that!" Nico yelled
Another projectile was shot and this landed just above my head. I gulped.
"Next time you'll see just how well I can aim." He said "unfortunately your wanted alive otherwise you'd be dead already."
"Who wants us?" Bianca asked "because if you think you'll get ransom your wrong...Nico and I we-we only have each other."
"Aww" Dr Thorne said "soon you'll join us and have a new family."
"Luke" I said "you work for Luke"
He eyes darkened.
"The General will enlighten you you'll be doing him a great service." He said "the great stirring is upon us"
"What stirring?" I asked
He turned away just as a helicopter came down near us.
"Grover" I whispered in my head "outside"
"Come on" Thorne shouted
Next thing I knew an invisible force slammed into me.

Annabeth's move was brilliant. Her hat flew off in the process  but Thorne was distracted for a second while Thalia charged in.
"For Zeus" she yelled
Annabeth reached down to help me up. "Come on seaweed brain" I took her hand and stood.
Thalia charged Thorne with her spear and shield, Aegis. I thought he was a goner. But he knocked it away with his hand...or rather orange paw. He shot projectiles at her and she blocked them but the force of the impact made her fall back.
I got ready to attack.
"Percy!" Annabeth said "your-" she decided not to say anything and pocketed something.
Grover hurried forward and started playing a jig. Thick weeds entangled Dr Thorne's legs.
He roared and began to change into his true form. His face was still human but his body was a lion. His leathery tail whipped deadly thorns.
"A manticore" Annabeth said
"Who are you people?" Bianca asked "and what is that"
"A manticore?!" Nico asked "he's got like three hundred attack power and plus five saving throws."
"Get down" Annabeth shoved the di Angelos flat into the snow.
I remembered my shield Tyson had made for me and activated it. The thorns flew into it.
Grover yelped and landed next to me with a thud.
"Yield" the monster yelled
"Never!" Thalia yelled she charged the helicopter broke the fog and the light blinded her. He knocked her back.
"No!" I yelled I parried away a spike aimed at her chest
He aimed another at us. I raised my shield knowing it wouldn't be enough.
We had no chance.
Just as I whispered an apology to Bruce for not coming home a hunting horn blew from the woods.

An arrow flew into Thorne's shoulder.
"Curse you!" He wailed
It looked like the arrows sliced the thorns in half. No one not even the Apollo kids could shoot that well. The archers came from the woods. About a dozen girls. The youngest about ten the oldest about fourteen like me.
"The hunters!" Annabeth cried
"Oh wonderful" Thalia rolled her eyes.
"Permission to kill my lady?" One of the oldest asked she was tall with coppery skin.
"It's not fair" the monster screamed "direct interference is against the ancient laws"
"Not so" another girl stepped forward she looked to be about twelve or fourteen. Her auburn hair was gathered In a ponytail. "Permission granted Zoë"
"If I can't take them alive they'll be dead!" Thorne lunged at us.
"No!" Annabeth yelled she charged him.
"Get back half-blood!" The girl...Zoë yelled
Annabeth didn't listen and jumped in his back driving her dagger into his mane. Annabeth held on for dear life as he spun and bucked trying to get her
off.
"Fire!" Zoë yelled
"No!" I shouted
The hunters fired.
"This is not the end! You will pay huntress!" Thorne yelled
He plunged off the cliff with Annabeth still on his back.
"Annabeth!" I yelled
I saw something dark grey in the snow. Her gloves. I picked them up just as the helicopter started firing at us.