Chapter 38

I heard the clatter of skeletons as I contemplated what the tour lady said. Why did she seem so familiar to me?
I ran after the tour group trying to think of a plan. A way out for those clever enough? I'm not the clever one!
I thought. To say I'm not clever isn't really giving me credit I just felt really hopeless.
I thought of my friends. I hoped they were okay. For all I know they were captured or dead. Or they could be eating some dam food in the dam snack bar.
I snuck around the crowd hoping to find a hiding spot in a small tunnel leading away from the main group.
I ducked in and heard a sharp Chhh like the voice of a skeleton.
I whirled around uncapping Riptide. The girl that I just tried to slice in half yelped and dropped her Kleenex.
"Do you always try to kill people when they blow their nose?" She asked
The sword had passed clean through her. "You're mortal"
"What's that supposed to mean" she looked slightly offended "of course I'm mortal. How'd you get that sword through security?"
"I didn't- wait you see a sword" I asked
The girl rolled her green eyes. She had frizzy brownish red hair and a red nose to match. She wore a big Harvard hoodie and jeans with marker stains. She was probably an artist.
"Well it's either a sword or the world's largest toothpick..." She paused "wait aren't you-"
I thought of the thing Thalia did with the mist. And concentrated I snapped my fingers and said
"You don't see a sword. Only a ballpoint pen"
She looked at me like I was even crazier "no it's a sword. What was your name again...Dick- wait no that's the cute one."
Now she seemed to be talking to herself.
"The cute one huh?" Barbara cut back in "I'd have to agree"
"Please find me a way out of here" I turned back to the girl.
"Percy" She said "Percy Wayne."
"Uh no Jackson" I said "Who are you?"
She huffed "Rachel Elizabeth Dare. Now are you going to answer my questions or should I scream for security?"
"No- I um I'm kind in a hurry and in trouble"
"Well which is it a hurry or in trouble" she looked behind me and her eyes widened. "Bathroom now"
"What"
"Behind me now!"
I listened to her not knowing why and slipped into the boys bathroom.
"Percy the only way out is the elevator" Barbara said
I heard the clatter of skeletons outside. I gripped Riptide. What was I thinking leaving her out there to fend for herself.
I was about to jump out when I heard:
"Did you see that kid?" Rachel asked "it's about time you got here. He tried to kill me. He had a sword! He ran that way towards the turbine thingies. I think he jumped over the side or something.
The skeletons clattered and I heard the move away. I rubbed my hand where my ring should've been. My ring! It was gone.
"Oracle" I said "my ring-"
Static I sighed.
I stepped out of the bathroom and looked down the hall the skeletons were gone.
"I owe you one Rachel Elizabeth Dare" I said
"What were those things" she asked "they looked like-"
"Skeletons?"
She nodded
"Do yourself a favor" I said "forget it. Forget everything you saw. Forget me"
"Forget you tried to kill me?" She asked
"Yeah that too" I said
"But who are you" she asked
"Um..." I paused she already guessed I was Bruce Wayne's kid "Percy-"
I heard the clatter of skeletons. "Gotta go!"

The Café was packed with kids enjoying the best dam lunch. Thalia, Grover, and Zoë had just sat down with their food.
"We need to leave" I said "now"
"What?" Grover asked "we just got our burritos"
Zoë stood and cursed in ancient Greek. "He's right, look"
Out the window we got a wonderful view of the skeleton army surrounding us.
"Elevator" Grover said as the skeletons that had been following me came into the cafeteria.
We pushed through the crowd but after a pleasant ding three more skeletons stepped out of the elevator.
The Grover had a plan to rival Annabeth's.
"Burrito fight!" He yelled throwing his guacamole at the closest skeleton.
Now, being that the Café was packed with kids, we were in an all out war zone.
Thalia and I tackled two of the skeletons down the stairs.
We pushed our way outside as the skeletons we pushed we're reassembling.
"What now?" Grover asked
I glanced around and something shinny caught my eye. The toes of the guardians.
"Thalia" I said "pray to your dad"
"He never answers" she said glaring at me.
I thought of the tour guide and realized why she seemed so familiar. So much like Annabeth or Tim.
"Just this once" I pleaded
The skeletons surrounded us, moving in.
"Do it!"
"No" Thalia said "he won't answer"
"This time is different" I said
"Says who?"
"Athena" I said "there's no time to explain."
"Do it" Grover said
Her lips moved in a silent prayer. I said my own prayer to Annabeth's mom hoping that I was right and it was her in the elevator.
But nothing happened.
The skeletons closed in and I raised Riptide.
Then a shadow fell over us. I thought it was the shadow of death. I was wrong and maybe a little dramatic. I looked up and saw giant wings.
In a flash of light the baton skeletons were swept aside. The pistol guys fired and I raised my coat for protection but I didn't need it. The bronze angels stepped in and wrapped their wings around us like shields.
Their wings slashed outward and sent the skeletons aside.
"Man does it feel good to stand up" the first one said
"Will ya look at my toes man" the second one said "what were the tourists thinking?"
A few of the skeletons started reassembling.
"Trouble" I said
"Get us out of here" Thalia said
The angels regarded her. "Zeus's kid?"
"Yes"
"Could we get a please miss Zeus's kid?"
"Please"
"Eh" one of them shrugged "haven't stretched for a while"
With that they grabbed us and flew straight up into the sky.