Chapter 42

If it hadn't been for the dragon, the garden would've been the most beautiful place I'd ever been.
In front of us was a five-stort-tall apple tree. It was filled with golden apples. Not yellow gold like at the grocery store. Real gold.
"The apples of immortality" Thalia said "Hera's wedding gift from Zeus.
From all around us the shadows began to move. I reached for Riptide but Zoë's hand stopped mine.
"Not now little bird" she said.
Four figures shimmered into existence, four young women who looked a lot like Zoë. They all wore white Greek chitons.
"Sisters" Zoë said
"We do not see any sisters" one if them said "we only see two half-bloods and a Hunter. All of whom will soon die."
"You've got it wrong." I stepped forward "nobody us going to die."
The girls studied me. They had black eyes, like volcanic rock.
"Perseus Jackson" one of them said
"Yes" another mused "I do not see why he is a threat."
"Who said I was a threat"
The first Hesperid glanced behind her.
"They fear thee. They are unhappy that this one has not killed there" she pointed at Thalia.
"Tempting sometimes" Thalia said "but no, thanks. He's my friend."
"There are no friends here, Daughter of Zeus" the girl said "only enemies go back"
"Not without Annabeth" Thalia said
"And Artemis" Zoë added "we must approach the mountain."
"You know he will kill there" the girl said "you are no match for him"
"Artemis must be freed" Zoë insisted "let us pass"
"You have no rights here anymore. We have only to raise our voices and Ladon will wake."
"He will not hurt me" Zoë said
"No? And what of thy so called friends?"
Then Zoë did something I didn't expect. She shouted "Ladon Wake!"
The dragon stirred the Hesperides scattered
"Are you mad?!"
"You never had any courage sister" Zoë said "that is thy problem"
The dragon Ladon turned and a hundred of heads whipped around.
"Zoë don't" Thalia said "he'll kill you"
"Skirt around the edges. He's trained to protect the tree" Zoë said "as long as in a bigger threat he should leave thee alone."
"Should" I said "that's reassuring"
"Just go!"
Thalia went right I went left. I could hear Zoë coaxing Ladon.
"It's me Ladon" she said "Zoë has come home"
Half of the dragon heads stopped hissing and drooped down. The other half hissed and snapped.
She continued talking. Thalia and I we're almost out when everything went wrong.
I don't know if Zoë just go too close. Or if he realized he was hungry. Either way he snapped his heads at Zoë. Her instincts kicked in and she dove away.
I reached to uncap Riptide.
"No Run!" Zoë yelled
She followed us and we sprinted up the mountain. Ladon decided not to follow.
The last thing I heard was the Hesperides singing what sounded like a funeral march.

The top of the mountains was in ruins we walked silently. Until we neared the summit.
"This is Atlas's mountain. Where he holds" she stopped "where is he?!"
She sprinted ahead of us. We followed. The cavern celling I had dreamed of....on the shoulders of a twelve year old, Auburn haired girl.
"My lady" Zoë rushed forward
"No! It's a trap!" Artemis said weakly.
Despite her protests Zoë rushed forward and began tugging in the chains.
"Ah how touching" a voice said behind us.
The general was standing there in a brown suit. At his side stood Luke. And just beside him was Annabeth. Her hands were chained behind her back and a gag was in her mouth.
I met her eyes trying to ask a thousand questions. She was sending me one clear message though.
Run.
"Luke let her go" Thalia said
Annabeth shifted her arms weakly and stumbled. Luke held her up and smiled weakly. He was pale and looked even Sicker then when I saw him in DC.
"That's The General's decision to make. But it's good to see you again."
Thalia snarled and spat at him.
"So much for old friends" the General chuckled "and you Zoë it's good to see you again. How is my little traitor? I will enjoy killing you"
"Don't answer" Artemis ordered "do not challenge him"
"You're Atlas?" I asked stepping forward
"So even the dumbest of heroes can figure it out" he said "yes I am Atlas"
"You're not going to hurt Zoë" I said "I won't let you"
"You've no right to interfere little bird" he said "this is a family matter"
"Family matter?"
"Yes" Zoë said "Atlas is my father"

I could see the family resemblance.
They had the same regal expression. Same cold proud look in their eyes.
"Let Artemis go" Zoë said
He walked closer to Artemis. "Perhaps you'd like to take the sky from her? Be my guest"
"No! Do not offer Zoë! I forbid it!" Artemis groaned
Atlas chuckled "see she likes her new job. I think I will have all the Olympians take turns carrying my burden."
I looked towards Annabeth. She was desperately trying to tell me something. She motioned her head towards Luke. But all I noticed was her hair. I hadn't noticed before but her blonde hair was streaked with gray.
"So these are the best heroes of the age huh? Not much of a challenge" Atlas said
"Fight us and find out" I said
"Foolish mortal" he said "have the gods taught you nothing? An immortal does not fight a mortal directly. I shall have Luke crush you"
"So you're another coward" I said
His eyes flashed with hatred.
"As for you daughter of Zeus it seems Luke was wrong about you"
"I wasn't wrong" Luke's voice cracked slightly. He seemed to be in pain. "Call the Ophiotaurus. It will come look"
He waved his hand and a pool of water appeared. I could imagine Bessie in the water. Infact the more I thought about it the more he seemed to appear.
"Don't think of him" Grover's voice said in my head.  "Clear your head"
I immediately blocked all thoughts of Bessie and focused on everything ahead of me.
"It's my last chance" Luke was pleading "if you don't join me. He will use the other way. Please"
Luke looked wild with fear. If Thalia doesn't join him then he was in trouble.
Luke waved his hand again and a flaming brassier, like the one at camp appeared. A sacrificial flame.
"Thalia no" I said
"We can end Olympus, destroy the gods, take our rightful place." He said "all we need is your help"
For a terrible second she hesitated. But then she stood straight.
"You aren't Luke" she said with tears in her eyes "I don't know you"
"Yes you do..."
I looked at Annabeth she nodded.
"Please don't make me-"
"Now!" I yelled
Together we charged.

Thalia charged for Luke. He was quick to grab his sword.
As for me I did the stupidest thing in my life. And that was saying something.
I charged Atlas.
He laughed "go on then" his suit transformed into full Greek battle armor, and a javelin appeared in his hand.
"Percy beware" Zoë said
I knew what she was warning me about. Chiron had told me a long time ago. 'immortals are constrained by ancient rules. But a hero can go anywhere, challenge anyone, as long as he has the nerve.'
Once I attacked however. Atlas was free to attack back directly.
I swung Riptide and he knocked me aside with the shaft of his javelin. I slammed into the black wall.
"Fool!" Atlas screamed "simply because you could challenge that Petty war God does not mean you can stand up to me!"
But there was someone who was. I looked about twenty feet to my left where Artemis was straining under the sky.
I sprinted for her ducking under a javelin slice.
Without even asking I dove under the sky cut the goddess Artemis' chains.
"Let me take it" I said
Either she was too weak to protest or she knew she had the best chance at winning because she rolled out of the way leaving the weight of the sky on my shoulders