Chapter 34

We made to the edge of town before the first skeleton warriors appeared and I was able to call Barbara.
"Where'd you send Cass?" I asked
"San Francisco" she said "Wally sent a tip in."
"Oh no" I groaned now Wally was caught up in this "I got to go. I'll call you when I can."
The skeletons drew their handguns. Thalia tapped her bracelet. Aegis spiraled to life.
I drew Riptide though I wasn't sure what it would do against guns.
Zoë and Bianca drew their bows but Grover kept swooning and leaning against Bianca.
"Back up" Thalia said
We did but two more skeletons appeared on the road behind us.
"It's near" Grover moaned
The skeletons were making clattering noises into their walkie talkies.
"It's here" I said
"No the gift, the gift from the wild"
"We have to fight them one-on-one" Thalia said "four of them, four of us. Maybe they'll ignore Grover that way."
"I could get Cass-"
"No" Thalia said
"I don't care what happened between you two you can't deny she's good in a fight" I said
"No" Thalia Insisted
"The wild" Grove moaned
The wind blew pushing my hair back. I remembered the way Luke betrayed Annabeth and camp and I charged.
The first skeleton fired. On instinct I raised Riptide and the bullet deflected off.
I sliced the skeletons arms off at the elbows and cut him in half through the waist.
The bones fell apart but started moving and coming back together. Another skeleton attempted to shoot me but I knocked his gun into the snow. I thought I was doing pretty well to until I heard a gun shot behind me. I felt the bullet make impact and fell face first into the snow.
"Percy!" Thalia screamed
Suddenly I realized I wasn't dead. The bullet had felt like a dull push from behind. The lion fur! My coat was bullet proof.
Bianca and Zoë were firing their bows at point blank range but it didn't do anything. A skeleton dove at Bianca and I though she was a goner. But she pulled her hunting knife and stabbed the warrior in the chest and it erupted into dust.
"How'd you do that?" Zoë asked
"Lucky stab?" Bianca said
"Well do it again"
The skeletons pushed us further back being careful of Bianca.
"Plan?" I asked
Nobody answered but the trees behind us started shivering and cracking.
"A gift" Grover said
With a mighty roar the biggest pig I'd ever seen ran in to the road. It was a wild boar thirty feet high. It's eyes were wild and angry.
"Reeeeeeeeeet" it squealed
It attacked the skeletons and threw the remaining three into the mountains.
It turned on us. Thalia raised her spear.
"No don't kill it" Grover said
The boar grunted and pawed the ground getting ready to charge us.
"That's the Erymanthian boar" Zoë said "I don't think we can kill it."
"It's a gift" Grover said "from the wild"
The boar squealed and swung it's tusks at us. We dove out of the way. But I had to push Grover to the ground.
"Yeah" I said "I feel blessed. Scatter"
We all ran in different directions and for a moment it was confused.
"It wants to kill us" Thalia said
"Of course" Grover said "it's wild"
"So...remind me again how this is a blessing" Bianca said
She asked a fair question but the pig charged her.
She was faster than I thought and rolled out of the way. The boar's tusks destroyed the welcome to cloudcroft sign.
I racked my mind trying to remember the myth with the boar. Annabeth usually supplied me with weakness of mythical animals.
"Oracle" I said "could use a little help"
No response. She must've been busy with Cass.
I hoped Cloudcroft was insured against giant boar attacks because the only thing I could remember about the myths was that it took Hercules to subdue it and that was after multiple cities were destroyed.
"Keep moving" Zoë yelled
Zoë and Bianca darted away avoiding it and Grover played his pipes dancing around it. But when the boar turned on Thalia and I she raised Aegis in defense.
The sight of Medusa outraged the boar and it charged us.
We ran uphill weaving in and out of trees as the boar plowed the snow behind us.
Once we got to the top of the hill I saw a train track half buried in the snow.
"This way" I said grabbing Thalia and pulling her along.
The boar tried to follow us but it kept slipping giving us some time.
Ahead of us was a tunnel with a gorge after that. Suddenly I had a crazy idea.
"Follow me" I said
She slowed down and I didn't have time to ask why but I pulled her along and she reluctantly followed.
We ran out the other end and Thalia realized what I was planning.
"No" she screamed
"Come on" I said "it'll hold our weight... probably"
Thalia turned white
"I can't" she said I saw fear in her face.
"Now" I yelled as the boar smashed through the tunnel
She looked down and swallowed I swear she was turning green but I didn't process why
The boar charged and I used plan B. I tackled Thalia off the edge of the cliff.
We rode Aegis like a snowboard, racing down hill.
The boar was less fortunate. The trestle buckled under it's weight. The boar free fell into the gorge. Squealing it landed in a snowbank with a poooof.
We slid to a stop. I was cut and bleeding. And Thalia had pine needles in her hair.
Next to us the boar was wedged in the snow like it was packaged in styrofoam.
I looked at Thalia "you're scared of heights"
She glared at me angrily "don't be stupid."
"That explains why you freaked out in Apollo's bus" I realized "why you didn't want to talk about it"
"If you tell anyone I swear-"
"No no" I said raising my hands in surrender "that's cool, it's just a daughter of Zeus afraid of heights."
She looked like she was about to throw me in the snowbank with the boar when Grover called down "helloooo"
"Down here" I called
A few minutes later Zoë, Bianca, and Grover joined us. We watched the boar struggle in the snow.
"A blessing from the wild" Grover said
"I agree" Zoë said "we must use it"
"Hold up" Thalia said she was covered In pine needles. "How are you so sure this pig is a blessing?"
"It's our ride west" Grover said
"Fun" I said "like...pig cowboys"
Grover played a tune on his pipes and an apple whirled up and floated in front of the boar.
"Cool" Thalia said "automatic steering"
She and Grover jumped on.
"Wait a second" I said as Zoë walked passed me to get on "do you know what Grover is talking about...this....wild blessing?"
"Did you not feel the presence"
"What presence?" I asked she looked at me like I was an idiot
"The Lord of the wild of course" she said "for just a moment, I felt the presence of Pan"

We rode the boar till sunset, which was about as much as I could take.
I have no idea how far we went but the mountains were soon replaced with miles of flat dry dirt and the occasional scrub bush.
As night fell the boar came to a stop at a creek bed.
"Oracle?" I said
"You're In Arizona right near the border into Nevada. Just miles of desert to the west." Barbara paused "until....Hoover dam that's the closest place to the west you'll find for a bit."
I relayed the Info to our group.
"So Hoover dam?" Bianca asked "is that where we're headed"
"For now" I said "that would be our best bet if we want-"
"Since when do you know where to go" Thalia asked "and why is that decision up to you?"
"Do you have a better idea" I asked
"Don't-"
"Stop" Grover said "c'mon we need to get out of here while he's eating. We can talk about this later."
______________________________________
Happy national superhero day! Sorry I've been taking so long to update. Let me know what you think of this chapter