Chapter 40

"What is that?" Thalia asked pointing in the water
We looked down into the water to see the cow serpent Bessie swimming to the surface.
"Moooooo!"
She nudged my shoe and gave me sad brown puppy- or cow eyes.
"Not now Bessie" I said
"Moo!"
"He says his name isn't Bessie" Grover said
"You can understand her-er him?"
Grover nodded "it's a very old form of animal speech. But he says his name is the Ophiotaurus"
"The Ophi-what?"
"It means serpent bull" Thalia said
"Huh Ive never heard that one" I said
"Moooo!"
"He says Percy is his protector" Grover said "he's running from the bad people, he says they're close"
"How'd you get all that from one moo?" I asked
"Wait you know this cow?" Zoë asked
I told them the story impatiently.
"And you forgot to mention this before" Thalia asked
"Well....yeah" it seemed silly now that she said it, it did seem kinda silly.
"I am a fool" Zoë said "I know this story!"
"What story?"
"From the Titan war" she said "my....my father told me this take, thousands of years ago. This is the beast we're looking for"
"Bessie?" I asked looking at the bull serpent "but...he's too cute"
"That is how we were wrong" Zoë said we've been anticipating a huge monster, but the Ophiotaurus does not bring down the gods that way. He must be sacrificed"
"Mmmmm" Bessie lowed
"I don't think he likes the S-word" Grover said
I patted Bessie on the head trying to calm him down.
"How could anyone hurt him?" I said "he's harmless"
Zoë nodded "but there is power in killing innocence. Terrible power. The dates ordained a prophecy eons ago, when this creature was born. They said whoever killed the Ophiotaurus and sacrificed it's entrails to fire would have the power to destroy the gods"
"Mmmmm"
"Um maybe we could avoid talking about entrails too"
Thalia stared at the serpent with wonder. "The power to destroy the gods....how? I mean, what would happen?"
"No one knows" Zoë said "the first time during the Titan war was in fact slain by a giant Ally of the titans, but thy father, Zeus, sent an eagle to snatch the entrails away before they could be tossed into the fire. It was a close call. Now after thousands of years the Ophiotaurus is reborn."
Thalia sat down on the dock. She stretched out her hand and Bessie went right to her.
Thalia's expression bothered me, she looked... hungry.
"We have to protect him" i said "If Luke-"
"Luke wouldn't hesitate" Thalia said "the power to overthrow Olympus that's...that's huge"
"Yes it is" said a man's voice in a french accent "and it is a power you shall unleash"
The Ophiotaurus made a whimpering sound and submerged.
I looked up hand reaching for Riptide.
We'd been so busy talking we'd allowed and ambush.
Behind us, his two multi colored eyes gleaming wickedly, stood Dr. Thorne the manticore himself.

"This is just pairr-fect" the manticore said
He wore a ratty black trenchcoat over his Westover hall uniform, his eyes gleamed with victory, something that made my blood boil with anger.
This monster had taken Annabeth, and now maybe Cass from me. It took nearly everything in me to keep from leaping forward towards him.
"Long ago the gods banished me to Persia" he said "I was forced to scrounge for food on the edges of the world. I never got to fight any great heroes and sadly it doesn't look like ill get to today."
He made a face at us.
"I was not feared and admired in the old stories! But now that will change. The titans shall honor me, for I will bring the downfall of Olympus"
Beside him stood two armed security guards, mortals.
"You're doing a pretty awful job at it right now" I growled
"Where are the skeletons?" Grover asked
"I do not need those foolish undead. The general thinks I'm worthless! I will change his mind when I defeat you myself."
I needed time to think of a plan, I had to save Bessie. I could jump in the water and get away. But what about my friends? No I would not leave them again.
"We beat you once before" i said
"You barely beat me with a goddess on your side" he sneered
"Yes" I said "but this time we have my sister"
With a nod of my head Cass burst through the alley and onto the dock knocking one of the security guards into the water.
"Kill her" Thorne said to the other as she ran off taking him with her
"Well so much for that" Thalia muttered
"Put The bow away, Zoë Nightshade. It would be a shame to have you die before you witness Thalia's great victory." Thorne said
"Percy, Cass is ready whenever" Babs said
"Tell her to stand down, and wait" I whispered
"What are you talking about" Thalia asked Thorne
"Surly it is clear, this is your moment!" He said "this is why Lord Kronos brought you back to life. You will sacrifice the Ophiotaurus, and for your sixteenth birthday you will overthrow Olympus"
No one spoke. It made terrible sense. Thalia was only two days away from turning sixteen. She was a child of the Big Three. And here was a choice, that would mean the end of the gods. It was just like the prophecy said. I wasn't sure if I felt relived, horrified, or disappointed. I wasn't the prophecy kid after all. Doomsday was happening right now.
I waited for Thalia to tell him off but she hesitated.
"You know it's the right choice" Thorne said as the guard finally climbed back on the dock, looking embarrassed a girl had gotten the better of him. I wouldn't feel to bad. His buddy got it worse. "Your friend Luke recognized it, you shall be reunited with him. Your father has abandoned you. He cares nothing for you. Call the beast, use your spear."
"Thalia" I said "snap out of it!"
She looked dazed, almost like she didn't know me "I....don't-"
"Your father helped you" I said "he's sent you the metal angels. He turned you into a tree to preserve you."
I looked at Grover desperately. Thank the gods he knew what I needed. He raised his pipes to his mouth and played a quick riff.
"Stop him!" Thorne yelled at the guard
Zoë loosed two arrows that exploded at their feet, fart arrows! The guard coughed and Thorne shot spines in our directions, but they ricocheted off my lion coat.
"Grover" I said "tell Bessie to dive deep and stay low"
"Moo" Grover translated I hoped he got the message
"The cow..." Thalia muttered
"Come on" i said pulling her along as we ran up the stairs to the shopping center in the pier.
Cass joined up with us tossing me a smoke bomb.
"Get them!" Thorne yelled as I threw the smoke bomb at them.
That gave us time to dive behind a kiosk. Below us the sea sprayed.
"Percy, jump into the sea" Zoë said "call on thy father for help."
I looked at all of them. Zoë, who I realized was a friend, Thalia who is grown to think of as one of my best friends the past few months, Grover my best friend for the past years, and Cass, my sister.
I thought of the people I've lost. My mom, Bianca, Annabeth....Luke.
"No" I said "I won't leave you guys"
"Then we have to get word to camp" Grover said "at least let them know what's going on"
I glanced around and noticed crystals on necklaces casting rainbows around.
"Good idea" i said I slashed Riptide across the top of a water fountain and water sprayed on us.
"Are you crazy" Thalia asked at the same time Cass hit my shoulder.
"Owww" I rubbed my arm as Grover fished out a drachma and threw it in the water.
"Oh goddess accept my offering" he said "camp Half-blood"
The mist shimmered showing Mr. D sitting lazily.
"Get Chiron!" I shouted
"How rude" he said looking up "I'd that how you say hello?"
Cass raised her hand as if to touch the mist but Thalia slapped it away. Resulting in a glaring war.
"Hello" I said "we're about to die! Where's Chiron!?"
"I'm afraid he's out" Mr D said "may I take a message"
I told him what had happened even though I doubted it would help.
"There" Thorne shouted
He appeared along with his guard as three more appeared on the roof.
"We're dead" I groaned checking my belt. I had one Batarang left and my grapple. One glace at Cass told me she had only two Batarangs and a disk from Annabeth.
"Then we'll die fighting" Thalia said and I realized Annabeth's gloves were in her bag.
"You could ask for help" Mr D coaxed
When wild boars fly I thought.
We stood ready as Thorne advanced and i looked at Thalia. She had been here before, on half-blood hill. Only this time she couldn't save us.
"Mr D" I whispered "help!"
Nothing happened and Thorne advanced on us.
"Babs" i asked
"Yeah"
"Tell Bruce I'm sorry" i said "and tell Dick I love him. And hey, maybe try again with him, he needs someone"
"Perce-"
"Tell him I love him" i gulped
Then as if their minds broke at once, a large snap sounded and the guards went crazy.
"Fine! I'll do it myself" Thorne growled
But with another snap he stopped "no!" He howled until he was engulfed in vines and bring clusters of grapes, all that was left was the scent of grapes.
"You're welcome" Mr D said dryly
"Mr D" Grover said in disbelief "you-you saved us"
"Don't make me regret it" he said "now get going Percy Jackson. I've only bought you a few hours."
"Go where?" I asked
"I think the huntress knows. Now goodbye. My pizza is waiting"
"Mr D" i smiled
"Yes?" He asked lazily
"You called me by my real name" i grinned
"I most certainly did not Peter Johnson!" He said and with a wave of his hand he was gone
"So-o" Dick said teasingly in my earpiece "you love me?"
"Shut up, pixie boots" I said with a smile
"I love you too Perce" I could see his smile from here
"So what did he mean you'd know where to go?" Thalia asked Zoë
She frowned "we must go to the garden of my sister's. It's time for me to go home."

______________________________________
Sorry it took me so long to update I've been way busy with sports camps. I'm probably going to get the next chapter out soon. Let me know what you think.
I'm also open to suggestions for the title of the next book let me know if you have any!