Chapter 33

As we were crossing the Potomac I messed with my earpiece till I was sure Bruce couldn't track me. I had just put it in when I noticed a helicopter following us.
"Oracle could you maybe see who is in that helicopter?" I asked
"I'll try" she said
"They know the car we need to ditch it." I said
"But-"
"Turn right here" Bianca said
"Are you sure-"
"Just do it"
Bianca lead us to a parking lot and hurried us out of the van. As we were running I asked Barbara.
"Any luck"
"What?" Thalia asked
"I don't know who they are but they're good" Barbara said
"Bianca are you sure this is taking us anywhere?" Grover asked as the helicopter got closer
"It's just ahead" she said
I saw it. A flight of stairs going down into the subway.
We all rushed down it, bought tickets and jumped on the first train we saw.
"Nice job Bianca" Grover sighed
"Percy are going to explain things to me?" Thalia whispered
"Yeah well I saw that station when Nico and I came through last summer I remember being surprised to see it because it wasn't here when Nico and I lived in D.C." Bianca cut in
"New" I asked "this place is at least ten years old"
"I guess but trust me there was no subway when we were little kids."
"Wait like no subway at all?" Thalia asked
Bianca nodded
There was no way the subway had been around for less that ten years. Everyone else looked as confused as I felt.
"Bianca" Zoë said "how long ago..."
The sound of the helicopter drowned her voice out.
"We need to switch trains" I said
The next station we did.
And a couple stations later we did one last time. When we got off we were in a railroad junction.
A homeless guy was standing at a trash can fire. "Y'all need to get warmed up?" He asked "come on over here"
The others graciously accepted and gathered around his fire. I joined them with one hand on a batarang.
"Well this is g-g-great" Thalia said shivering.
"My hooves are frozen" Grover complained
"Feet" I corrected for the sake of the homeless guy.
"Maybe we should contact camp" Bianca said "Chiron-"
"No" Zoë said "they cannot help us anymore. We must finish this quest ourselves."
I looked miserably to the west. Somewhere out there Annabeth was in danger, Artemis was in chains, and a doomsday monster was on the loose. And we were stuck on the outskirts of D.C. sharing a homeless guys fire.
"You know you're never completely without help" the homeless man said his face was grimy and his beard was tangled but he looked kindly. "You looking for a way west?"
"Yes sir" I said "do you know of any?"
He pointed to a train it was one of those ones that carried cars. In a couple minutes we all had our own luxury car and were heading west.
I found Thalia who had rigged a radio so it was Getting an altrock station from D.C.
"Join you?" I asked
"Sure" she shrugged "if I can ask you some questions"
"Hit me" I said
"How do these work?" She held up the gloves.
"I don't know" I said "but it's saved me multiple times."
"Is running around with Batman as crazy as being a demigod?"
"No" I said "usually worse. Especially when bru-er-Batman is always on your case."
"Who is-"
"I'm not telling you Batman's identity" I said
"But if I guess..." She laughed "Lex Luthor. No Bruce Wayne"
"Yeah as if Bruce would let me get into danger" I said lying easily "besides he's too busy with galas and stuff."
"What's he like- Batman I mean" she asked
"He's...untrusting at first. But if you prove yourself you'll never meet a more loyal guy" I said "sometimes he gets protective. And he'll argue With anyone me, Nightwing, Oracle, Batgirl, Annabeth... especially Annabeth..."
"Oracle? You guys have an Oracle?"
"In a way I guess." I said "but it's not what you're thinking."
"What about your family?" She asked "not the...bat people what's your family like?"
"I...I miss my mom a lot. And Bruce tries but" I sighed "struggles sometimes. My brothers keep me on my toes although Jason doesn't come round much and Dick is busy with police work in Blüdhaven. Cass she's a freaking boss."
We sat in silence for a minute.
I looked at Thalia and couldn't help but compare her with Zoë.
Zoë had a princess look but I knew better than to underestimate her. Thalia with her punk, rebel look and attitude I thought for the first time how well Jason and her would get along.
But something about them was very similar. Then it hit me.
"You were going to join the hunters." I said "you ran into them and they offered you membership."
For a second she looked like she would kick me out if the car. She sighed and said
"Luke Annabeth and I ran into them once. Zoë tried to convince me to join and almost did but it would mean i'd-"
"Have to leave Luke" I said
"Yeah" she sighed"then Zoë told me I was being stupid and Luke would let me down one day."
"That's harsh" I said "it must be hard to admit she was right"
"She's not right Luke never let me down never."
"We're going to see him you know" I said "and we might-"
"I'll do what I have to do" she said
I paused everyone I'd been asked this question multiple times. By Bruce, Dick, Jason, Barbara...myself...
"Even if that means killing?"
"Do me a favor" she said "get out of my car."
"Thals-"
"Now"
As I got out she said one more thing.
"Percy, Annabeth wanted to join the hunters too. Maybe you should think about why."

We stopped on the outskirts of a little ski town. After Thalia had kicked me out of the car is had a weird visit from Apollo and then a even weirder dream.
We got off the train. And a sign said welcome to Cloudcroft, New Mexico.
As we walked towards Main Street I told Grover all about my conversation with Apollo and how he told me to seek out Nereus in San Francisco.
"That's good I guess" He said uneasily "but we have to get there first"
We stopped in the middle of town.
"Great" Thalia said "no bus stop, no train station, no car rental no way out." She turned to me "want to play the Bruce Wayne son card?"
I paused "um...I don't think he'd appreciate that especially right now. Plus then we'd have the press and-"
Someone connected to my communicator. I walked a few paces away and said "Oracle I was just about to call."
"Not Oracle." Cass said
"Cass? What are you doing..." I checked the tracker on my wrist to see where she was "in New Mexico?"
She wasn't that far from me right now.
"Searching" she said stubbornly
"Percy" Thalia said
"Cass it's too dangerous" I said "go home. Please there's more here than you know" I took a breath to keep from yelling. "Please Cass....I can loose you too."
She had already disconnected.
"Ugh" I kicked the ground in anger
"There's a coffee shop" Grover said
"Coffee is good" Zoë said
"And pastries and wax paper" Grover said
"Fine you guys can go get some and me, Percy, and Bianca can go check the grocery store, maybe they can give us directions" Thalia said
Inside the store we found few valuable things about Cloudcroft. One there wasn't enough snow for skiing and two the only easy way in or out of town unless you had your own car.
The guy looked so lonely I bought a rubber rat. Then we headed back outside.
"Wonderful" Thalia said "I'm going to see if anyone in the other shops has a suggestion"
"But the clerk said-"
"I know I'm checking anyway" she said
I let her go. I knew how it felt to be restless. All half-bloods have attention defect problems, we could stand waiting around. I also had a feeling Thalia was still mad about our conversation about Luke last night.
Bianca and I stood together awkwardly.
"Um...nice rat" she said breaking the silence.
"So..." I said placing the rat on the railing "how do you like being a hunter so far?"
"You're not still mad for me joining?"
"Naw as long as you're happy"
"I don't know if 'happy' is the right word for it. I feel...calmer as if everything's slowed down."
I heard footsteps behind us. I listened they were too light to be Thalia's or Grovers. And if Grover and Zoë we're back we'd hear to sets of feet.
Bianca looked at me as if she noticed it too.
I pulled out Riptide (in pen form) and whirled around. Bianca had an arrow drawn before I could say anything. Our stalker looked at me then at Bianca. Then dove for Bianca's bow.
"No!" I yelled within seconds Cass had Bianca lying flat on her back. "She's a good guy"
Cass looked down at her suspiciously before stepping away and helping her up.
"Who are you?" Bianca asked
"Um... Bianca this is my sister....who should be in Gotham right now"
"Searching" she said stubbornly
Zoë, who must've seen Bianca's bow on the ground, must've assumed we were being attacked. She ran forward and before I could tell her we were okay attacked Cass.
Caught by surprise Cassandra stumbled back.
"Zoë stop!" I shouted
Cass caught a punch thrown by Zoë and yanked Zoë's arm up locking it behind her head. Zoë struggled for a second then stopped realizing she'd break her arm if she didn't.
"Zoë, Cassandra. Cassandra, Zoë" I introduced them
Cass dropped Zoë's arm and studied her.
Neither of them said anything.
"Percy" Bianca said pointing towards Grover "is he-
"Grover thy cup!" Zoë said
Grovers cup fell to the ground and the birds that decorated it peeled off and flew away.
My rubber rat squealed and jumped of the railing.
"Hey" Thalia ran up "I just...what's wrong with Grover?"
She glared at Cass who glared back. They never got along and refused to tell me why.
"Got....to go" Cass said suddenly she held her grappling hook.
"Cass wait-"
"Oracle...has....answer" she said she was gone in the blink of an eye.
"Get Grover up" Thalia said "we have to get out of here"
______________________________________
I haven't updated in forever... Sorry. Life has been insane. Hope you like this chapter. Let me know what you think