Chapter 31

As we got closer to Washington Blackjack started dipping low and sweating.
"You okay?" I asked
Fine boss I could...I could take on an army.
"You don't sound so good" I said feeling guilty I'd been running the Pegasus for half the day nonstop.
Don't worry about me boss! I'm a tough one!
I figured he was right. And that he would run himself into the ground before complaining.
Luckily the van started slowing just as we crossed the Potomac River. I started thinking about air patrols and missiles and stuff like that. I wasn't even sure if a Pegasus would show up on a normal military radar. But I didn't want to find out by getting shot.
"Set me down there" I said "that's close enough."
Blackjack didn't even complain on the way down he dropped towards the Washington monument and set me down.
The van was parked only a few blocks away.
"I want you to go back to camp. Rest and graze I'll be okay" I said
You sure boss?
"Yeah you've done enough" I said "thanks a ton"
A ton of hay maybe that sounds good. Blackjack said but be careful boss I don't think you'll meet anything as friendly or as handsome as me.
I promised to be careful and Blackjack took off.
"Robin?" Barbara asked
"What's up Oracle?" I asked as Grover and the others trudged towards a building lining the Mall.
"Um Bruce Wayne is in Washington" She said
"Why?" I asked
"I don't know something with the president-"
"Don't let him know I'm here." I said "he'll die of worry and kill me."
"I can't argue with that. He's already worried about Cass. And trust me he's been taking it out on Dick" she said
"Okay I'll try to keep out of Mr Wayne's way." I said
"Good luck" she said "Oracle out"
I started to follow the direction my friends took but stopped. A man with a grey military buzz cut got out of a black sedan. He was wearing dark sunglasses and an overcoat.
It dawned on me guys like this could be all over in D.C. but I realized I'd seen this sedan driving south on the highway, following the van.
The guy said something into his phone. He looked around to make sure the coast was clear and started off towards my friends.
The worst of it was when he turned his head towards me I recognized him. It was Dr Thorne.

I put on my gloves and the invisibility cap and followed Thorne. If he survived the fall Annabeth must have to. My dreams were right.
Thorne was careful not to be seen by my friends and finally Grover stopped at a building that said NATIONAL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM. The Smithsonian I had been here a million years ago with my mom.
Thalia checked the doors it was open but there weren't many people going in. Too cold and school was still in session. As they walked inside someone followed not far behind them. They didn't seem to be following my friends but they looked like they were looking for someone. Thorne was still in front of me watching.
I recognized the girl.
"Hades" I cursed
Artemis Crock turned and glanced around before stepping into the Smithsonian.
Thorne on the other hand headed in the opposite direction. After hesitating I followed him.
He walked into the museum of natural history which had a sign that said closed for pirate event. I realized that pirate must've actually said private.
I followed Thorne through to two closed doors. Thorne opened them and slipped inside. I nearly gasped when I got in.
It was a huge round room with a balcony ringing the second level. At least a dozen mortal guards with two monsters stood on the balcony.
Standing between the snake women, I could swear he was looking straight at me, was my old enemy Luke.
He looked like he had aged fifty years. He was pale and his hair look grey. The scar that ran down his face looked like it had been reopened recently.
Sitting next to him, covered shadows, was another man but I could only see his knuckles.
"Well?" The man in the chair asked
His voice wasn't like Kronos's but beep and strong, like the earth was talking.
Thorne took off his shades and his different colored eyes shone with excitement. "They are here"
"I know that you fool" the general said "but where"
"In the rocket museum" Thorne said
"Air And Space Museum" Luke said irritable
Thorne glared at Luke "Like you said sir"
I got a feeling Thorne would rather be impaling Luke than calling him sir.
"How many?" Luke asked Thorne pretended not to hear him.
"How many" the General demanded
"Four General" Thorne said "the satyr Grover Underwood. And the girl with the spiky hair and horrible shield"
"Thalia" Luke said
"And two others hunters. One wears a silver circlet."
"That one I know" the General growled
"Let me take them" Luke said "we have more than enough-"
"Patience" the General said "they'll have their hands full with the playmate we've sent."
"But-"
"We can not risk you my boy."
"Yes boy" Thorne said "let me finish them off"
The General stood and I got my first good look at him.
He was tall and muscular with light brown skin and slicked back black hair. He looked more intimidating that Batman or Superman.
"You have all ready failed me"
"But General-"
"No excuses" the General yelled "I should throw you into the pits of Tartarus for your incompetence. I send you to bring me a half-blood of the elder gods and you bring me a scrawny child of Athena."
"But you promised me revenge." Thorne complained
"Robin" Oracle said "where are you? There's some trouble at the air and space museum."
I cursed in my head. I should've told her to maintain radio silence. I pulled the ear piece out and slipped it into my pocket.
As I was brought back into the conversation a guard was planting something in the circle of dirt.
"Ready General" He said
The soil started bubbling and where each of the teeth were something struggled up from the soil.
"Mew?" The kitten asked
"Kittens?" The General roared "where did you get these teeth?!"
"From the exhibit you said the saber toothed tiger"
"I said The tyrannosaurus!" The General yelled "take these fuzzy beasts and never let me see your face again!"
The guard scampered out quickly.
"You!" The General yelled "go get the right teeth! Now!"
The guard he pointed to scampered out.
"I don't know why you use mortals" Luke said "they're unreliable"
"They're weak-minded easily bought and violent. I love them" the General said
A minute later the guard came back with long pointy teeth.
"Excellent" the General jumped from his spot twenty feet down onto the floor. "Curse my stiff neck!"
"Another hot pad sir?" The guard asked "more Tylenol?"
"No it will pass" the General said "I'll do this myself"
Within seconds the soil started bubbling again.
Twelve skeletons erupted from the ground.
One looked straight at me and I knew the cap wouldn't fool it.
One of the snake ladies dropped a scarf down letting it flutter to the ground.
Without thinking I ran for the scarf. I ran and rammed into people and snatched the scarf out of the air.
"An intruder cloaked in darkness" the General said "seal the doors"
"It's Percy Jackson!" Luke shouted "it has to be!"
I ran for the exit. One of the skeletons had taken a chunk from my sleeve. I slipped through the doors just as the guards closed them.
I put my ear piece back in and ran.
The Mall was a blur and I sprinted for the Air and Space Museum.
I took the hat off after I passed the admissions area and literally ran into Thalia.
Zoë and Bianca has arrows notched before I could blink.
"You!" Zoë said "how dare you show thy face here?!"
"Luke!" I panted "he's here"
The anger in Thalia's eyes melted. "Where?"
I told them what had happened
"Twelve skeleton warriors are after me now so you know what's new?"
"We have to get out of here" Grover said
"Good idea lets go-"
"Kitty!" A kid yelled
I saw the monster it was like a giant cat with razor teeth and claws.
"Thalia put the gloves on" I said "now"
"I don't think they fit-"
"Override, Robin 24198." I said and the gloves fit to her hands. I was glad I actually remembered the code.
"Whoa" She said
"If it come to it when I say cross your hands" I said "like this" I showed her. "And don't let anyone see your face if you cross your hands"
"Okay?"
"Separate on my mark." Zoë said "keep it distracted...now!"
I uncapped riptide and rolled away. Arrows flew. I heard three different bows go off. Oh no.
I searched desperately for Artemis. Finally I saw her on a exhibit.
"Oracle get everyone out of the Air and Space Museum" I said "and for Olympus' sake figure out a way to keep Green Arrow and Batman away."
"I'm working on it" She said
Thalia was keeping the lion back but I saw its legs tensing.
"Hey!" I yelled
I slashed with Riptide but the sword just raked off throwing sparks. The lion took a chunk from my coat. My back against the railing the lion pounced at me. I turned and jumped.
"Percy!" Thalia yelled
I started falling I twisted in midair hitting my fist into my hand and blasting my grapple to the first thing I saw. I landed on the airplane.
"Robin?!" Artemis yelled
"Um yeah" I said forgetting she was here. "I was in the area and decided to uhh see what the commotion was."
"Duck!" She yelled I hit the wing of the plane hard and the lion flew over my head.
"Thanks" I said "But you gotta get outta here-"
"And let you have the fun?" She asked
The lion swiped at me and the plane groaned. Arrows were shot. "I need well we, as in Wally and I, need to talk to you-"
I jumped down landing on another exhibit.
"Let talk more shoot"
"Robin" Oracle said "it looks like the GA is on his way. Batman not far behind"
I groaned
"Artemis!" I yelled "Bats and GA are on their way. You can't let them get here."
"Why?"
"Just trust me!" I yelled
She turned
"If you see Bats tell him Robin is going after Batgirl and Paladin. And tell him to not take anything out on Nightwing" I said
"Okay?" she sighed "if Arrow kills me you know why. If you see Wally on this weird quest of yours just talk to him okay?"
"Mkay" something had to be up with them.
Artemis ran off hopefully to succeed or we were both dead.
I deactivated my suit one she was out of sight.
"Zoë aim for the mouth!" I yelled throwing an exploding batarang at the lion. The lion roared.
"All right cat" I said "Bring it"