A Broken Promise.

A/N: This is not necessarily a new chapter. It was originally the first chapter of JOR. I did change a few lines and took Astryd out of this since I've been meaning to do that. Anyways, feel free to read it again if you're up for it!

A Broken Promise.

              The room was filled in an anticipating silence. Odin, Frigga, and I were all in the throne room waiting. Odin had received word that Thor and Loki had arrived minutes ago. He sat on his throne with a worried look plastered onto his face. I sat on the last step next to Frigga who had her arm wrapped around my shoulder in a comforting way. I leaned into her, feeling Odin's gaze burn into my back from time to time.

                 After the news broke out about Loki, Odin told me that our talk was, "to be continued some other time." He allowed me to wait for him in the throne room while he went to go inform Frigga, but that was it. It was evident that our talk had developed hard feelings, and even though Frigga hasn't asked, I know she can sense the tension.

               The heavy doors opened, and I immediately stood up alert. My heart dropped when I only saw Thor. He bowed down his head, an unreadable expression on his face. A distraught Frigga rushed towards him and pulled him into her arms. "Thor," she breathed.

               My eyes began to water for the second time today. I didn't want to believe it. I don't want to believe it.

               "Where is he?" Odin asked.

               "In the infirmary." Thor answered.

            The infirmary? I looked up and my gaze landed on Thor. He nodded, answering my unasked question. Loki isn't dead. I took a deep breath to steady my voice. "Can you please take me to him?"

**

         Thor stopped in front of a set of doors.  He put himself in front of the door, blocking my entrance and spoke in a low and solemn tone. "Before you go in there, I want you know that he is not in his best condition. It's the worse I've ever seen him."

             "The worse?" I willed myself to ask.

             "He may be alive, but the doctors are not certain he will survive through treatment."

               I nodded, feeling my heart drop. "Okay."

             Thor stepped aside, dismissing himself. Taking a deep breath, I reached out for the door and pushed it open. It closed behind me with a thud. When I turned around, I was definitely not prepared to see what I saw.

              It was the first bed. It was Loki, but I didn't want to believe it was him. The bed had him propped up into a half sitting position. He lay still, almost motionless and I was scared that he might've died, until I held my hand near his nose and felt a faint breath. I sighed in relief and stared at him.