Because I Love Her.

Because I Love Her.

LOKI

                 I love you.

         I stirred, feeling my temperature rising uncomfortably, recognizing her voice. Opening my eyes, I was expecting to see her, sitting on the stool beside me with her head rested on the bed like she usually was when I would wake up. She wasn't.

           Instead, Odin stood at the foot of the bed, watching me.

           "And to what do I owe this gracious pleasure?" I asked with sarcasm, feeling myself boil up at just the sight of him. We seemed to never be on good terms.

            "I came to see how you are doing, but I see you've got a fever. I'll go get the nurse." Odin said, turning to leave.

                "Where is Eryn?"

                I watched his face fall and deepen into a frown. I instantly regretted asking. I don't think I'm going to like the answer. He stood there silently for a short moment -debating on whether to tell me or not- before finally making his decision. "The answer to your question may not be one you want to hear."

               "Tell me." I urged, feeling my body tense in anticipation. I don't know where this is heading, but it's not good.

             "She left." Odin stated simply. He raised his hands in defense at my immediate glare. "She left on her own terms. 

            I fell back onto the pillows defeated, feeling as if the wind was knocked out of me. She left? A part of me didn't want to believe it. She didn't show any signs of wanting to...I looked at him, narrowing my eyes. "She would've came to say goodbye. There is something you're not telling me."

        Odin sighed. "Asa -the maid whom took care of Eryn while she was here- came to me worried, because she had found Eryn crying. She said the mortal couldn't take it anymore and wanted to go home, so I did what was right and sent her home. When I asked if she wanted to see you before doing so, she rejected the offer because she didn't want to face you...shows how much she cared."

        His words sunk in, drowning me into despair. I didn't question him furthermore. It was pointless. I'd have to ask Thor or Frigga about this to make sure it was true. What Odin was telling me did not sound like Eryn...but what if it was? That thought haunted me.

          I remembered how something had been troubling her lately. Could this have been it? Have I been so blind by my own troubles to even notice hers? She always acted as if she was happy -no matter what-, but I knew it was just a mask to help make me feel better.

        She left me. I want to be mad at her, hate her for leaving me when I can't do much for myself. How dare she? But I can't.