03 | Icy Hot

My demonic claws aimed at the boy's neck. However, my claws reached the ground and I accidentally punched a hole on the ground. The boy had avoided my attack, lying on the ground next to my hand.

Such reaction speed!

His right hand touched my arm and it was covered with a sheet of ice. I jumped back to where Ojiro was. If I stayed any longer, he would have froze me entirely. The ice didn't really sting that much, thankfully for the high elemental resistance my demonic quirk gave me. However, the ice's bitter coldness was slowly seeping into my bones. I quickly shattered the ice on my arm by slamming it on the wall. The ice shattered easily.

I can't let him touch me anymore.

The ice boy glared at me bitterly, unpleased that I was not caught by his quirk earlier. "You... how did you..." he spat.

"I have my own ways," I said. If I can't defeat him, might as well delay some time. "Don't you think you're a little bit underestimating us by coming alone? Arrogant punk."

Anger slowly found its way onto his emotionless face. Without replying, from his right feet, an ice wall lunged at me. I punched at the ice and it shattered immediately. More ice walls were heading towards me from different directions, obscuring my view entirely. The ice walls circled around me, imprisoning me in an ice cell.

"Eria!" I heard Ojiro's voice but I couldn't see him through the thick ice wall.

I closed my eyes. In my mind I sensed two people: Ojiro, not far from me. And the other figure-

"Right here!" I broke through the ice wall with my fist and grabbed the ice boy by his left arm. I anticipated ice to freeze my arm but nothing came.

His right arm immediately reached out for my hand but I kicked him in his gut. He was thrown to the wall, shattering parts of it.

"Gah!" I shrieked in pain as ice has spread on my left leg. It stung worse than before but I could still manage.

Throwing him across the room had not made the ice boy unconscious. Instead he sent more ice towards me. I avoided as many as I can but the ice on my leg slowed me down. At this rate, I will be frozen sooner or later.

Leaving him too close to the weapon was too dangerous. I need to get him out of here.

"Ojiro, guard the weapon," I muttered as I punched another wall of ice into pieces. With my left arm, I shattered the ice on Ojiro's feet and my leg.

"What are you planning?"

"Something reckless," I said and mustered all the speed in both of my legs and lunged at the ice boy. He saw me coming and jumped to his left, barely avoiding my claws. I had expected that. So at that split moment as he jumped, I spun myself a little and grabbed his weird-looking bag pack with my left hand.

I flung him to the window. Before he could react, I grabbed his neck and pushed both of us out of the building. We were falling from the highest floor of the building. The impact would be extremely painful.

However, an ice slide emerged out of nowhere and caught us both before landing hard onto concrete. We slid to the ground with me holding onto his neck. When we stopped, I pinned him to the ground. Meanwhile, his right hand had touched me and my right arm froze in place.

Damn it! How much time left?

The ice spread from my arm to my right torso. But my grip on his neck held on tight.

"I'm not letting go unless you do!" I gritted my teeth painfully.

"Well then, don't cry if you turn into a frozen statue," he retorted.

The ice had reached my neck in painstakingly slow pace. My grip on his neck tightened even with the ice.

Time was still ticking away slowly.

"Todoroki!" Someone else shouted. I assumed it was ice boy's teammate.

"Get the weapon," said ice boy through his gritted teeth.

Hopefully Ojiro could deal with him.

"Takasaki-san!" Ojiro shouted through the window.

How much more time?! The ice had froze my right horn and was reaching down to my right leg.

"Let me go and I'll let you go," said the ice boy. He sounded desperate.

"Fat chance," I said as I shattered the ground next to him easily with my left hand. Delaying time was us villains' only advantage against the heroes.

He looked surprised at my strength. He knew I could crush his neck with ease even with the ice covering my arm. Yet he has not faltered to freeze me.

I glared down at him and he glared back. Upon closer look, his left eye was blue as the ocean while his right eye was dark grey like storm clouds. There was a red mark on the upper left part of his face, like a birthmark. If he wasn't that mean and arrogant, I would have considered him quite good-looking.

The icy bitterness was torturing me worse by every passing second. Goddamn it how long left?!

"Takasaki-san, hold on!" Ojiro shouted. It sounded like he engaged in battle with the other 'hero'.

You hold on too, Ojiro! Come on! Is it time already?!

The ice had spread over half of my torso. My right leg had already frozen in place to the ground. It was getting colder and colder, to the point where I might faint. Ice boy deliberately slowed down the freezing but decreased the temperature.

"DAMN IT!" I shouted. I was determined not to lose to him after what I've been through.

Don't lose! Win!

"TIME'S UUUUUP!!!" All Might's voice boomed in the area. "The villains, Team I, wins!"

We... we won?!

I loosened my grip on ice boy's neck. He coughed.

"Sorry," I muttered. "Could you err... unfreeze me now? Please?" I asked sheepishly. The energy in my body waned and my quirk disappeared. The iciness pierced through my bones painfully without my elemental resistance.

The ice boy silently reached out with his left hand. A surge of heat burst through my body, melting away the ice. Heat? Losing my balance, I fell onto him.

"Get off," he spat.

"Sorry." I quickly stood up. I extended my hand to him but he ignored it. His cold and aloof personality irked me.

"That was... a good fight," the ice boy suddenly spoke. He looked at me coldly, with a hint of curiosity in his eyes. "How did you avoid my ice?"

"I can sense certain things with my quirk," I replied. "Umm... I'm Takasaki Eria. Just call me Eria."

"Todoroki Shouto." He walked off, but abruptly stopped and turned around. "How did you... resist my ice so long?"

You know, if you have so many questions, why don't you just blurt them out all at once? "My quirk gives me high resistance against elements like fire. But it seems to be less effective against ice, though."

Todoroki looked down at his left hand, then to his right hand. "I don't think that's less effective. Usually, people couldn't fight back when I froze them. At least, they won't try to crush my neck while half of their body is encased in ice."

"Is that a compliment or sarcasm?"

He walked off without replying me.

What... what's the matter with him?