42 | U.A. School Festival

Eria

"I thought your spirits were finally lifting after so many gloomy days. Why the long face?"

I lifted my heavy head from the table and looked at Ochako. "My mother."

"She still refused to see you?" Iida asked as he plopped down on the chair opposite me with a book in his hand.

I nodded. I had used various humiliating tactics like begging and crying in front of my mother's ward that I probably became the laughing stock of the residents there.

"I can no longer show my face there. EVER," I said.

"Maybe we should all go," Midoriya suggested. "You know, beg?"

"Sure! Let's humiliate ourselves together!" Ochako said sardonically. Midoriya blushed.

I chuckled. "Maybe I really should just break her door down."

"That is not what heroes do!" Iida chided.

"But begging and crying works?" Ochako retorted.

Todoroki approached us with the third book of Harry Potter in his hand. Apparently, he had grown so addicted to the series that he nearly burnt me for trying to spoil him. He purposely avoided sitting near me because he didn't want me to annoy him out of boredom.

"Oh wait. We had decided on our school festival theme, right?" I said. "What was it again?"

"You should have paid more attention, Takasaki!" Iida scolded. "We had been discussing it for hours and you weren't listening —"

"It's a play! Yaomomo and a few are thinking of the script right now. But I think it involves Rapunzel, Frankenstein and a dog?"

I tried to imagine the three elements together. They had such stark contrasts that it seemed impossible to make into a play.

"Isn't Class B doing a play too? Romeo Juliet and the Prisoner of Azkaban: the return of the King... something?" Midoriya said.

Todoroki formed a silent 'oh'. He looked at the cover of his book. "You mean this?"

"How dare they cram Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings together!" I said, irked.

"Our class isn't much of a difference anyway..." Ochako sighed.

"Everyone! We have decided on the roles in the play! Please come and do the lucky draw! Everyone gets their role randomly!" Yaomomo called from the other end of the hall.

I reluctantly rose from my seat. "I hope I don't get to play in any roles. I hate being on stage. I have stage fright."

"Too bad! Heroes must also learn the etiquettes of being the centre of attention!" Iida hollered. "I would have arranged you to be the main character!"

"I would have killed you," I hissed. My body shuddered as I felt millions of eyes staring at me, waiting for me to mess up......

"Please pick a piece of paper from this box. Only a handful will get to be on stage. We have a prince, a princess, a mage, Dr Frankenstein, the monster, the dog......"

Please don't let it be me... please... please...

"I hope you become the main character," Todoroki muttered.

"Why?!" I said. My hand shook as it was my turn to put it into the ominous box.

"Because you were mean to me. I hate that you tried to spoil me."

"Well, I hope you become something...... horrible, then. Maybe the monster," I retorted.

Yaomomo pushed my reluctant hand into the box. I touched pieces of paper in the box, and was quite undecided which I should pick. My luck had not been faring well recently and I prayed sincerely that I wouldn't be on stage.