37 | Haywire

REWIND BACK TO: Day 2

Eria

The cool night air was pleasant against my skin as I soared into the city. After making sure there was a fair distance from the hospital, I landed in a dark alley and walked into the bustling street of Shinjuku Kabukicho. The blinding, colourful neon lights flashed like rainbows in the night. People walked in their tightly knitted groups as maids, hosts and various workers tried to draw their attention to their clubs.

I got into a Don Quijote nearby and bought myself some food, clothes and other necessities. The next thing was to find a place to stay for the night and think of my next move.

I avoided the clubs and drunken men who catcalled me as I weaved through the bustling crowd. In a much quieter street dotted with tiny bars, I found an ancient, decrepit hostel. I was worried that I had to show identification at the counter but the old woman still let me rent a room for a night, even though she eyed me suspiciously.

The stairs to the second floor creaked ominously and I flinched, as if I was a lurking thief trying to steal something. I was doing something equally bad, or even worse anyway, so I tried to calm myself down.

"Hey pretty girl~ wanna have some fun?" A drunk man in his thirties cooed, but he was instantly pulled inside to his room by his female partner.

"How dare you look at her! I'm young too!" She chided.

They slammed the door shut, and the man should be grateful, for I would have kicked him in his shins.

The room I rented was reek of booze and cigarettes. The floor was dirtied and the futon was not much better. It was not a comfy place to sleep but I won't be getting any sleep anyway.

I changed and got rid of the tell-tale clothes of the hospital. While eating the snacks I bought, I searched online with my phone, trying to look for places where villains would usually hang out. Kabukicho was apparently one of those places, but it was hard to discern who were villains or who were just citizens.

Then, I realised the police could track me with my phone.

Great. Now I have to buy a disposable SIM card.

The streets were much quieter when I went out to buy the card at a convenient store. My brilliant violet hair was hidden under a cap and I avoided the CCTVs in the store. I deactivated my original card and inserted the new one, which worked great with unlimited data and untraceable by the authorities.

Dawn was already shining after hours of searching online with my phone. I was hoping someone would post in forums where villains were sighted. If I could get one of the villains to talk, maybe they would know where to find the illusion guy......

The fate of my entire plan rested on the idea of villains having a 'network' among themselves, discussing and sharing information, though I had no proof such things existed.

The illusion guy and his villain partner could be loners, and no one would have known their existence at all......

All the negative thinking was burning my mind to its maximum. The stress, the mental and emotional pain were building up in me, threatening to break me like a dam filled with too much water.

If I couldn't accomplish what I came here for, there would be severe consequences. However, expulsion from the school didn't scare me as much as watching my loved ones being hurt by villains.

Wait...... they aren't loners. They had contacted the League of Villains to get me... which means...

Another problem emerged. Where was I going to find the League of Villains?