50 | Heroes Rising Pt. 1

Eria

I always loved the gorgeous white view of snow that blanketed the entire world during winter. But I loathed the bitter coldness that came with the snow, which often made me curl in a thick blanket with a cup of hot cocoa in my hands and a trail of mucus dripping down my nose. My mom said before I had my demon quirk, I spent too much time in the snow outside and got serious hypothermia, which probably affected my body's resistance against the cold. This was also probably why Todoroki's ice could hurt me badly.

But fret not. For this coming winter, I would be departing to Nabu Island, the land of sunny days and warm weather. Class 1-A will participate in the U.A High's safety program sponsored by the Public Safety Commission to help with our training after everyone obtained their provisional licenses. We will be performing heroic work at the remote Nabu Island, even though it had a relatively low crime rate.

The program would take up to one month's time and everyone in class was excited to do some hero work for real. I packed my necessities for the journey, kissed my family goodbye and head off to the sunny island. Without our teacher's supervision, we took the ferry to reach the island.

"You seemed very excited," Todoroki commented as he looked at the vast azure sea that stretched out beyond the horizon. He smiled as he enjoyed the strong wind that ruffled his hair.

"I get to spend one month without the cold during winter. That makes me happy," I said, staring down at the sparkling blue sea beneath my feet.

Upon arrival at the island, Iida and Yaomomo established contact with the local village chief, who led us to a rundown inn that will become our headquarters. We hurriedly set up the place: the lobby served as the communications center while accommodations were set on the upper floor. It didn't take long for telephone calls to come in and request for our assistance.

Iida and Yaomomo distributed the jobs to everyone according to their capabilities. We were all thrilled to be receiving job requests from the locals, even if they were minor tasks like searching for lost pets or cleaning the field. Except for Bakugou, who refused to work unless a villain was involved. He laid by a small room, doing particularly nothing while his classmates busied themselves with the jobs that continued to pile up.

I was called to relocate heavy construction materials to a construction site since my quirk had the capability to do so. Even though I decided to stop eating Scarlet's medicine, I wasn't going to let my condition to obstruct me. I moved the heavy beams, bricks and steel frames effortlessly while I timed myself, making sure I wasn't going to exceed my limit.

By the time my task was finished, I was completely exhausted and drenched in sweat, yet great satisfaction washed over me. I still had some time before my limit of two hours so I flew towards the beach and deactivated my quirk. A few of my classmates were over at the beach doing various tasks, including Todoroki, who stood by an ice shop, creating ice whenever the owner received orders for an icy dessert.

Todoroki's face lit with joy when he saw me. "You're done with your task?"

I nodded. "I dropped by here for a while. I'll be heading back to HQ for a rest and let Iida decide my next task. I want to do more work but......"

"Don't overexert yourself," he said, eyes pleading with mine. "Since you're not eating your medicine anymore."

I smiled. Todoroki's concern warmed my heart.

After a short moment of rest, I walked back to HQ, where the remaining classmates were occupied with calls that flooded in. Bakugou was still isolating himself from everyone and preferred to wait for a villain attack, though it seemed impossible on such a small, tranquil island.