11 | The mind controller

Eria

"I pledge... to be the first," Bakugou announced to every first year in the stadium. His voice never faltered yet filled with pure determination.

Bakugou ignored the shouts of dissatisfaction that echoed in the stadium and stepped down from the podium.

"Why did you do that for?" I asked the grumpy boy who found a spot next to me.

Bakugou clicked his tongue, displeased to hear my question. His eyebrows furrowed. "I'm winning this shit. Don't stand in my way, demon girl. Or I'll kick your ass as well."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

The first event for the sports festival was an Obstacle Race; nearly 4 km around the stadium. For U. A., Obstacle Race was not just plain running around and jumping over hurdles. It meant dangerously large robots, mines and participants fighting against each other using their quirks.

For example, Todoroki Shouto freezing over half of the participants in the beginning of the race to get a head start.

I jumped when the ice came towards me in high speed, freezing almost everyone around me to the ground. I activated my quirk and hurriedly chased the rest of Class 1-A, who also avoided Todoroki's ice successfully.

Bakugou propelled himself forward with his explosions, chasing up to Todoroki. Behind him were Yaoyorozu and Tokoyami. Mineta, the petite boy, had appeared from nowhere, throwing his gluey balls to the iced floor and using them as support to catch up to Todoroki.

"I got you now!" Mineta shouted as he aimed at Todoroki. Split second later, the poor boy was knocked away by a large metallic hand.

"Oh... robots..." I muttered as I dodged the incoming Mineta.

Large villain robots loomed over the participants of the race. Their red eyes beamed at us, seeing us as tiny targets to be squished like ants. Some people around me squirmed in horror.

However, the robots didn't faze Todoroki. Instantaneously, he froze many of them and swooped past their defenses easily. A few seconds later, the robots came crashing down, shattering the earth beneath them.

I didn't waste time to fight the robots. Speed was the only thing mattered now. I quickly avoided the robots by running around them while Bakugou, Sero and Tokoyami propelled themselves high in the air, over the looming robots. I chased behind them with my quirk deactivated because I could not afford to use up my strength in the first event.

Behind me, the rest were following up. A girl with long green hair ran by my side; her hair looked like vines upon closer inspection. Midoriya was nowhere to be seen yet. Abruptly, someone dashed past me. It was Iida. Even Tsuyu and Ochako were chasing up to me.

The second obstacle was a huge canyon, with ropes tying from one end of the canyon to the other. A lot of the students were stuck at the gaping mouth of the canyon. They were probably wondering on ways to get to the other side with only ropes.

On the other end of the canyon, Todoroki was already there, running off to the finish line without turning back. Students with high mobility like Bakugou and Sero easily crossed the canyon without using the ropes.

If only I could summon my wings like what I did in USJ, this would be an easy deal.

I activated my quirk and jumped onto one of the ropes. Beside me, Tsuyu easily hopped on the rope without losing her balance. She was as agile as a frog.

It took me some time but I managed to inch my way to the end of the canyon without falling. A lot of people had swooped past me since then. When I chased up to them, I was stumped by the amount of people treading carefully at the third obstacle: The Land Mine Field. Todoroki was not far ahead of me, since he was being cautious with the mines. Taking this as an advantage, Bakugou propelled himself into the air once more, finally catching up to Todoroki. Both were taking the lead while the rest were far behind, treading slowly in the mine field.