54 | The illusionist

Eria

The fear that welled in my chest felt like an old friend and a foul nemesis at the same time. I had not felt it ever since that day and this time when it returned it doubled and tripled in size, looming over me like it was a ferocious lion and I was an injured impala, prey to be eaten nevertheless.

Paralysed, numb with fear and the pain in my muscles, I couldn't move. The arm that coiled around my neck was cold and it coiled a little tighter and tighter as time passed, like a python trying to strangle its prey to death.

The illusionist's abyss-like black eyes belonged to a woman with long, sleek black hair. I had seen her before. She was the nurse who attended to me the first time I came to Scarlet's lab for a blood test. Her name was Chieko. I had never seen the illusionist's actual appearance before. I thought this woman was just fooling me and pretending to be the illusionist, but through her eyes and her voice, I knew it was her. It was definitely her.

On her flawless face, a triumphant and sly grin appeared. She knew I wouldn't be able to fight her, so she acted boldly to use her body to trap me, even though I could easily throw her off with my strength. And she was right. I was too paralysed to muster any strength.

Where did she come from? Why was she here? What did she want with me again? My mind turned muddled with thoughts raced against each other. And one idea stood out the most among all.

I was going to die here.

The click of the gun's safety unlocked was unmistakable. Its barrel was pressed against my back, almost near to my heart. It was the illusionist's only choice of weapon, and it was also something I could overcome easily with my speed, yet I felt useless and helpless like a child, as if I possessed no quirk to defend myself.

"Why?" a small gasp escaped my lips. It was the only word I could speak.

The illusionist let out a joyous chuckle. "Hayato betrayed me, so I controlled him to lure you here. I waited for you to come, and you did, so easily and unknowingly."

But there were no doors beside me. And there was a wall behind me —

It wasn't a wall. It was an illusion.

The illusionist's wicked smile widened as soon as she saw the comprehension dawned on my face.

"This goes against the boss's wishes, but I can't let you escape that easily anymore. I want you dead. So, since I'm unable to make you kill your loved ones, I'll just kill one in front of you, right here right now."

She forcefully jerked my body to turn around. The sight before my eyes tore my heart apart from its ribcage.

Lying on the ground, with that unmistakable telltale red-and-white hair, was Todoroki Shouto.

The remaining breath in my lungs left my mouth in a sharp gasp and I choked. My body responded automatically, and I wanted to lurch forward to him, but the illusionist's vice-like headlock held me tight.

Todoroki lied on the ground, still and silent, like a corpse. I was scared that he was dead. He couldn't be. He was so strong and powerful. Nothing could defeat him.

Seeing the horror and panic on my face, the illusionist pulled the gun from my back and aimed it at Todoroki.

Instantly I flared. With all my strength I toppled the illusionist over, but the explosion from the gun was loud and the bullet travelled quick. I hastened to reach him, to protect him. An intense pain struck my back, coupled with the old pain that had racked my body previously, sent me kneeling on the ground.