06 | Gotten used to it

Eria

Aizawa-sensei returned as our homeroom teacher even though he was bandaged from head to toe like a mummy. He informed us that U. A. Sports Festival will be held in two weeks The festival was one of Japan's major events that will be broadcasted live to the whole nation. The exposure could help us to get internships from hero agencies if we did well in the festival.

"The events in the festival is completely different every year, right?" I asked Midoriya. He probably watched and videotaped it every year.

"Yeah. It sounds exciting to really participate in one. However..." he replied hesitantly.

"Midoriya-kun, Takasaki-kun! Are you not fired up about the festival? It's a big event, so we must be fired up!" said Iida, who was enthusiastic about almost everything.

"Well..."

"Deku-kun, Iida-kun, Eria-san......"

We turned around to find a very pumped up Uraraka Ochako. An aura of determination enveloped her as her usual bubbliness disappeared. "LET'S DO OUR BEST IN THE SPORTS FESTIVAL!"

Her face...... what happened to your face, Uraraka? "A-are you okay, Uraraka-san?" I asked.

"Everyone! I'll do my best!" she shouted, pumping her fists in the air. Then she told everyone else in class the same thing, spreading her fiery passion all over the place.

***

"Uraraka-san, why did you decide to come to U.A to be a pro hero?" Midoriya asked as we were on the way to the cafeteria.

Uraraka's carefree and bubbly personality returned. "Umm... well... it's kinda embarrassing, you know... I err... wanted to be a hero for money," she replied sheepishly. "My reason sounds kinda like a joke, isn't it? You three have such admirable motivations, it's kind embarrassing..."

Iida spoke. "But why? How is it having a goal to support your livelihood not admirable?"

I agreed with him. "It's not embarrassing. It's more realistic than mine actually. Money may not be everything but it's essential to keep on living in the future. My goal was just to be everyone's shield. However, it sounds too... unrealistic and immature in the current society. Just because you have a great quirk it doesn't make you a great hero." I pondered about the true nature of my quirk. Could I even protect people with this power? "Reality sucks."

They stared at me with widened eyes. "Sorry... I think I got a little carried away," I apologized.

Midoriya gave me a small smile, as if he understood what I meant. "I think no one is born to be a great hero." He looked down at his hand. "My quirk seems very powerful, but will it help me to be a great hero? I still need some time to figure it out too. You may think your dreams are trifling, but I think it's what keeps you going, it's what motivates you to strive harder everyday so that you can become a great hero in the future."

Iida and Uraraka nodded. "Let's do our best to achieve our dreams together, okay?" Uraraka said as she touched my arm.

"Yes! So let's begin by excelling in the sports festival!" Iida said, pumping his fists in the air enthusiastically. I nodded in agreement.

***

For the next two weeks until the Sports Festival, I plan to do research on my quirk. I've asked Midoriya to help me out in the school library since he was knowledgeable about a lot of quirks.

"Takasaki-san, so you're trying to find out if there were any similar quirks in the past like yours?" asked Midoriya as he looked at the book titles on the library shelf.