49 | Dilemma

Eria

"Bloodlust?" Ochako gasped, her eyes spanned wide in surprise. "I thought you had it under control!"

"I did but......" I stammered. The horrifying experiences of the battle flooded my mind and my blood instantly ran cold.

"So it just reappeared during the battle?" Midoriya asked inquisitively. "Any ideas what triggered it?"

My hands simultaneously moved to the bottle of pills in my pocket. I wasn't sure I should divulge that information to them. It would only mean the only hope of me becoming a hero would vanish.

"We'll talk about this later," Midoriya said as we joined the other students and the teachers. The teachers were about to give final remarks on the Joint Training, but I wasn't paying attention. My mind was still plagued by my current trouble.

Shinsou commented on his weaknesses, saying he had much to do to become a hero. Midoriya explained he was uncertain what was happening to him. Ochako's face blushed a shade of vermillion when Ashido commented she hugged Midoriya in order stop his rampage. Soon, it was my turn. My hands were clammy and I tried to wipe the sweat off on my pants. Anxiety welled in me as I felt everyone's gaze pierced through me.

"What happened to you back there?" Aizawa-sensei asked. His stern glare made me feel vulnerable.

"I don't know too......" I stuttered in a timid voice. I felt a dizzy spell coming and I feared I could faint at any moment now.

Aizawa-sensei sighed exasperatedly, but he didn't pursue further, as though he understood my dilemma. "Talk to me when you had it figured out."

I nodded gratefully. I was definitely not ready to expose my weakness in front of everyone.

Aizawa-sensei continued his remarks and chided Shinsou for blaming himself on his weaknesses. Then, he announced that Shinsou will be joining the Hero Course as of his second year at U.A., though it was undecided which class he would be joining.

Class was dismissed at that point, while my mind was still troubled by my problems. My close friends huddled around me and exchanged nervous looks. I inhaled sharply to steel my guts and I told them everything while I tried to hold in my emotions.

"Then you should definitely stop consuming the pills," Iida suggested firmly. "We're still uncertain of the other side effects the pills could do to you. It is still under testing."

I reluctantly agreed with Iida. No matter how much I wanted to be a hero, I couldn't let my bloodlust hurt anyone.

"No matter what, we'll always support you," Ochako said as she squeezed my hand. Her gentle smile tried to reassure me.

Midoriya nodded in agreement. He seemed to be troubled by his personal concerns, like the black tentacles, but he still smiled brightly.

"Thank you," I said, feigning a wide grin. "Just go ahead. I want to be alone for a while."

My friends shared a curious but concerned look. Reluctantly, Iida, Midoriya and Ochako left as per my request, leaving Todoroki behind, whose brows still furrowed in silence.

"I'm fine, really," I said to Todoroki, putting a foolish but fake grin on my face.

His gaze held on to my face. "I don't think so," he replied in a monotone but gentle voice. Abruptly, his strong arms embraced me in a warm hug. Relief instantly washed over me, like all the times how Todoroki's warm and kind embrace brought solace to my broken heart.

"W-what are you doing?" I stuttered, tears brimming in my eyes.

"I thought you might need a hug," he mumbled.