19 | Aftermath

Eria

After us rookies were shaken by the Stain incident, we were admitted into Hosu General Hospital. All of us had bandages over our limbs. We shared the same ward because I refused to be alone in the female's ward.

Despite the incident had ended almost 12 hours ago, none of my nerves relaxed. I couldn't sleep, fearing that when I close my eyes Stain would appear to stab his knife into my neck.

Early in the morning, we had our breakfast and sat on our beds, reminiscing the miracle of us being alive despite Stain's ferocity. The door to our ward gently slided open, and Gran Torino and Iida's supervisor walked in. A tall adult followed behind him, clad in a formal suit and had a dog's head as his head. Not that I was prejudice, but this was probably the first time I saw a human with a dog head. He was large and tall, nearly touching the door frame with his head.

"Good morning, children. I am Hosu's chief of police, Tsuragamae Kenji," the man addressed. Todoroki and Iida stood up in respect and I followed their move. Midoriya was allowed to sit on his bed due to his injured leg.

"You must be the UA students who took down Stain, right?" he asked.

We nodded.

"Regarding the hero killer, he had fairly serious injuries, with broken bones and burns, and is receiving treatment under strict surveillance, woof."

Persistent killer. After all we have gone through and he's still alive. Thank god WE are still alive.

...... and did he just... 'woofed'?

"Since you are UA students, I'm sure you understand the rules and regulations that adhered to the profession of 'pro-heroes'. Even up against the hero killer or any other villains, for the uncertified individuals to cause injury with their quirks without specific instruction from their guardians or their supervisors is a clear violation of the rules."

I didn't like where this conversation was heading. After winning against an impossible killer, we were to be blamed for our actions?

He continued. "The three of you, with Gran Torino, Endeavour and Manual must receive strict punishment."

My heart broke to see our efforts only resulted punishment from the authorities, thanks to some stupid rules.

"Hold up. If Iida didn't do anything, Native would have been killed," an angered Todoroki suddenly interjected. "If Midoriya hadn't come, both of them would have been killed. No one realised Stain has appeared. So we should just follow the rules and watch people getting killed?"

My valiant friend. So brave, hotheaded and defending his friends. I was genuinely touched, even though it wasn't the right moment.

The chief of police held his ground firmly. "Are you saying that as long as it turns out okay, it's okay to bend the rules?"

Flames would have burst through his left side and burn the entire room into ashes. "Isn't it a hero's job to save people?"

I wanted to support Todoroki but saying something would only aggravate the situation.

"That's why you're not a full-fledged hero yet. What have UA and Endeavour been teaching you, woof?"

That sparked off the ticking time bomb within him. Todoroki stormed towards the dog-headed man but stopped when Gran Torino stepped in. "Wait, hear him out, please," said the old man.

The chief continued. "That's the official opinion of the police. And the punishment and such would only happen if this was known to public, woof. If this was made to public, you would be applauded, and you would also be punished. But if this was not made public, the burn scars on Stain would support Endeavour as the savior and it would end there, woof. Thankfully, there were few witnesses so this violation could be crushed here, woof. But it would also mean no one would know of your accomplishments. Which do you prefer? Personally, I don't like to find fault with promising young ones because of one big mistake."