40 | Consequences Pt. 2

Eria

I stood in front of the locked door of a private hospital ward. The name of its resident was written on the plaque by the door: Takasaki Hana.

A day or two after I left the hospital, my mother woke up and immediately knew what had happened to her family. She was questioned by the police and then proceeded to shut herself in the ward, refusing any visits from anyone. All Might was the only one she allowed to see her.

"Mom, please let me in," I pleaded for the umpteenth time as I stood in front of the door, begging her to let me in. But she refused to answer any of my pleas. It broke my heart.

"I think she needs some time," said Todoroki, who came looking for me a while ago. He was dressed in his school uniform and was preparing to return to the campus.

Todoroki probably knew how I felt right now, since his past was quite similar to my tragedy. "Did your mother refused to see you back then?" I asked gently.

"Yeah... but I didn't want to see her either. Because I don't want to agitate her and make her sad again. Plus... he won't let me visit her. Only my sister visits her," he replied slightly gloomily.

I touched his arm for comfort and he squeezed my hand. We were two peas in a pod, bearing such similar resemblances in our lives that we could find solace in each other.

"Just give her some time. She won't abandon you or your family," he said cajolingly. "Do you want to head back to the campus with me?"

I looked down at my feet. "I don't know. I know my mother needs me right now...... I just feel so useless."

We remained in silence for a few minutes. "How's your heart? You mentioned something was wrong with it earlier?" I asked.

Todoroki's eyes slightly widened a little. His hand instinctively reached to touch his chest where his heart was located. "......It's fine."

I continued to stare at him, hoping to pry out the truth but he immediately looked away.

"Todoroki."

"It's...... just something...... irregular, but nothing serious."

I made him turn around and look at me. "Todoroki."

"It's really fine. It's just faster than usual when......"

"When?"

Todoroki finally dared to stare at me. His beautiful orbs glinted like precious gems. "When I'm with — "

"SHOUTOOOOOOOOO!" An angry bellow resonated in the quiet halls of the hospital. The figure was still so far away from us yet his loud roar was easily audible.

"Shit," Todoroki cursed under his breath, which was a first.

The ground trembled in fear as Endeavour crossed the long hallway in large strides. His eyes burnt angrily like the flames that he always donned on his costume and his face.

Endeavour's murderous glare pierced through my fragile, aching body when he saw me. I gulped. Todoroki, on the other hand, wasn't pleased to see his father here. He immediately stepped forward, acting as shield to protect me from his father.

"Why didn't you tell me that you were hospitalized?! I had to hear it from Fuyumi!" Endeavour roared, though his voice was quieter than his usual boom. A nearby nurse shot him a glare and shushed him.

"I didn't think I need to tell you," Todoroki huffed. "It was just hypothermia. I'm still alive."

Endeavour's face scrunched together as he held in his explosive temper. His brilliant blue eyes turned to me and a shudder ran across my body.