AU: Star-crossed lovers

Eria was in love.

As the priestess and the second princess of the royal palace, she was not allowed to love. And no one else was allowed to love her. Thus, she never knew the true meaning of love.

But after meeting him, a special feeling gestated within her. It grew from a tiny flower bud that bloomed into a beautiful flower. She saw him in a different way, she thought of him every day, and whatever he did made her smile.

Everyone in the palace admitted Shouto was handsome, with his bi-coloured hair, heterochromatic eyes and his scar that charmed everyone he met. He may have an aloof personality and a cold exterior, but he was also kind and caring.

Eria had never experienced love before, but she knew her feelings for Shouto was love.

"Morning, Eria," said a soft, silky voice that Eria yearned to hear every time.

With a pink shade on her face, Eria whipped her head around to greet the handsome boy. "Morning, Shouto."

Shouto gently smiled, which became her motivation of the day. "Are you going for breakfast?"

Eria nodded. "I just finished my early prayers. Let's go together."

Walking side by side with her love made Eria's heartbeat boom in her ears. She has walked by his side every day, yet she could never get used to the anxiety. She loved walking next to Shouto; it made her feel like she was the closest person to Shouto, though only for a short period.

"What did you pray for today?" he asked.

"I prayed for the country's success today. There's going to be a huge ceremony today to sign a treaty with Tamome."

Tamome was the country Shouto came from. He was one of the princes there but he was 'loaned' to Eria's country, Scanda as a ward and a sign of trust.

Shouto slightly creased his eyebrows. Eria knew he never loved his country because his country never loved him, or he wouldn't be 'loaned' away like a property since young.

"Shouto," she chided.

He pouted his lips slightly. "......fine. I won't think bad of my country, even though it abandoned me."

Eria shook her head but smiled. She looked down at her hand. It was barely inches from Shouto's. She wanted to touch his hand for some time now and it ached her for not being able to do so, no matter how close she was.

"Shouto! Eria!"

Eria dreaded to hear that chirpy voice, but she never showed it on her face. As the priestess, she must show kindness, no matter how much she hated the person. It was all the contrary when a priestess must show love but could never love.

Momo, the first princess and Eria's sister of the same age, was soon to be the heir to the throne. They came from the same father but different mothers. Momo's mother, the current queen was of royal blood, while Eria's mother was just a peasant who lived on the streets. Thus, Momo was treated like a true royal but Eria was forced to be a priestess and to serve God for her whole life.

Even though Momo was kind and a natural beauty, Eria still disliked her sister. She disliked the disparity between the two of them; she disliked how she acted like a good sister even though she never inclined to help Eria. Probably Momo thought Eria enjoyed being a priestess for her whole life.

What even made Eria dislike Momo more was the rumour that has been circulating in the palace recently.

Momo will soon be engaged to Shouto, as a sign of friendship between the two war-torn countries.